"Funchal - You can feel nature all around you" Top 5 Page for this destination Funchal by salinhopt
Funchal Travel Guide: 547 reviews and 1,197 photos
Madeira's almost five century old capital is said to have been named 'Funchal' because of the abundance of fennel (funcho) that was growing there.
Funchal is located in an absolutely unique area. The almost 'amphitheatre' like formation it rests in begins on the beach and rises almost 1200 metres on gentle slopes. This provides a natural shelter and was what attracted the first settlers.
The best harbour and the best climate, together with the excellent geographical position, allowed Funchal to have a rapid population growth.
Today Funchal is a very modern city with over 120.000 inhabitants. This does however mean that traffic congestion in the centre can become almost unbearable.
The city can easily be explored on foot and no matter where your hotel is located (as long as it is in the Funchal tourist area) you will find no difficulty in walking into the main city to delight at its sights and sounds.
There are a wide variety of gardens and parks that are carefully maintained and exhibit a vast array of flowers, plants and trees. In 2000 Madeira received a gold award for Funchal entitled 'European Flowering City 2000'. This prestigious award which is much sought after by many a European city, has deservedly been presented to one of the most beautiful gardens in the world.
- Pros:Climate! Fun! Festivals! Carnival! Nightlife! Nature! I love Funchal!
- In a nutshell:Funchal, you can feel nature all around you!
Funchal has now a panoramic balloon that goes up to 150 meters to show visitors a different perspective of the city bay... more travel advice
The pride of Santo Antonio township, thanks to its size and history. The building dates from 1789 and has six altars.... more travel advice
salinhopt's Related Pages
Funchal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Funchal - You can feel nature all around you"
- "Funchal Impressions"
- "Fabulous Funchal"
- "Amphitheatre around a beautiful bay."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Funchal
- Hotels in Funchal
- Transportation in Funchal
- Nightlife in Funchal
- Restaurants in Funchal
- Shopping in Funchal
- Warnings and Dangers in Funchal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Funchal
- 78 Reviews
- 110 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 49 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Funchal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Funchal
Photos in FunchalSee All Photos (110)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Funchal Intro, 78 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 76 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porto Santo Island Intro, 42 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 43 photos
- Portugal Intro, 40 reviews, 40 photos
- Santana Intro, 27 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coimbra Intro, 26 reviews, 28 photos
- Óbidos Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cascais Intro, 19 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Machico Intro, 21 reviews, 23 photos