"Machico - Discoveries" Machico by salinhopt
Machico Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 48 photos
Machico was the landing place where, in 1419, Gonçalves Zarco and Tristão Vaz Teixeira came ashore to the official discoverers of Madeira. However, according to local stories, about one century earlier Robert Machim and his lover Ana d’Arfet had already found shelter in this place. Whether or not there is any truth in the story, many people believe that Machico is a corruption of the original name Machim, and so the original founder has indeed been given his due. Madeira’s occupation started in 1420, when the island was divided in two administrative captaincies (capitanias): Machico and Funchal. These two centres became points of population for the North and South of the island, respectively. Due to its important role in Madeira’s early history, this settlement received a letter upgrading it to township status in 1450 and then to independent municipal status in 1996.
The charming and typical bay with a steep deep valley behind, turn Machico into an authentic picture postcard of natural beauty. As well as an active fishing port, Machico is also an attractive tourist resort. It includes the sub-districts of Caniçal, Santo António da Serra, Porto da Cruz, Água de Pena and Machico. Caniçal, a well-known fishing village, boasts the only golden sand beach of Madeira, while the Prainha (Little Beach) is very popular with swimmers.
- Pros:All the history, the cathedral and the nice gastronomie!
The best way to go to Machico city is by bus or car. If you chose the bus then SAM is your BUS company - the green... more travel advice
Sunday is the day of 'Nossa Senhora da Piedade'. Locals still have a procession to this chapel taking Our Lady of Mercy... more travel advice
salinhopt's Related Pages
Machico Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Machico - Discoveries"
- "Machico - The Old Capital"
- "MADEIRA something special"
- "Seaside historic town."
- "Machico, Madeira."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Machico
- Hotels in Machico
- Transportation in Machico
- Restaurants in Machico
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Machico
- 21 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Machico?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Machico
Photos in MachicoSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Funchal Intro, 78 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 76 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porto Santo Island Intro, 42 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 43 photos
- Portugal Intro, 40 reviews, 40 photos
- Santana Intro, 27 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coimbra Intro, 26 reviews, 28 photos
- Óbidos Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cascais Intro, 19 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Machico Intro, 21 reviews, 23 photos