"Marvao - UNESCO candidate 2004" Marvão by salinhopt
Marvão Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 226 photos
Located on an escarpment only a few miles from Spain, this tranquil town is completely surrounded by walls dating from the 13th to the 17th century. From the narrow streets filled with neat white houses a spectacular view can be obtained, as Marvão stands at more than 862 metres (2900 feet) high.
Marvao lies in the area of the Natural Park of Serra de Sao Mamede, with a wide range of flora and fauna due to its geological diversity and varying climate. It is the home of one of the largest colonies of bats in Europe, but also of deer, boars, Bonnelli eagles, griffon vultures, etc.
- Pros:A perfect village!
- In a nutshell:I hope UNESCO consideres Marvao World Heritage. It deserves!
Several works of recovery have been undertaken and the Town Council is still intent in improving the historical center... more travel advice
Marvão lies in the area of the Natural Park of Serra de São Mamede, with a wide range of flora and fauna due to its... more travel advice
salinhopt's Related Pages
Marvão Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Marvão - A Hilltop Castle & Enclosed Garden!"
- "Marvão the eagles nest"
- "Where we can see the birds back"
- "Marvao - UNESCO candidate 2004"
- "Marvão: The Unforgettable Village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marvão
- Hotels in Marvão
- Transportation in Marvão
- Restaurants in Marvão
- Shopping in Marvão
- Warnings and Dangers in Marvão
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Marvão
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Marvão?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marvão
Photos in MarvãoSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Funchal Intro, 78 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 76 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porto Santo Island Intro, 42 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 43 photos
- Portugal Intro, 40 reviews, 40 photos
- Santana Intro, 27 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coimbra Intro, 26 reviews, 28 photos
- Óbidos Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cascais Intro, 19 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Machico Intro, 21 reviews, 23 photos