"Portalegre - The green Capital" Portalegre by salinhopt
Portalegre Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 154 photos
Located in the São Mamede Hills close to the border with Spain, Portalegre retained strategic importance for national defence throughout the Middle Ages. King Afonso III (1248-79) granted the settlement its first royal charter before handing it over to his bastard son Afonso Sanches. This move was far from popular with Dinis (1279-1325), his brother and heir to the throne. In 1299, Dinis, already king, returned Portalegre to the status of royal possession and ordered the rebuilding of the Castle. Also in medieval times, the Franciscan order established a presence in Portalegre most notably in the Convents of São Francisco (St. Francis) and Santa Clara (Saint Claire).
In the early 16th century, after the founding of the Misericórdia de Portalegre (a nationwide charity institution), the Bishop of Guarda, Jorge de Melo ordered the building of the Convent Cisterciense de São Bernardo (Cistercians of St. Bernard). Already an important administrative and economic centre, it became a city under king João III who further established the Diocese of Portalegre and ordered the building of the Cathedral. This decision was further consolidated by decisions to go ahead with the Episcopal Palace and the Diocese Seminary, now the Municipal Museum.
There is also the Portuguese poet Jose Regio Museum House. On the outskirts, attention goes to the views from the Church of Nossa Senhora da Penha (Our Lady of Suffering) and the Church of Bonfim, Located on the road heading to Marvão and Castelo de Vide, both are well worth a closer look.
- Pros:Breathtaking views! History and culture!
- Cons:I found the city quite desert!
The Mercy hospital has a wonderfull Coat of arms of the region. The first documented portuguese coat of arms goes back... more travel advice
This museum, dedicated to Carpet Weaving in Portalegre, was set up by the Municipal Council. The city gained these... more travel advice
salinhopt's Related Pages
Portalegre Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Portalegre - The green Capital"
- "acilina's new Portalegre Page"
- "pribeiro's new Portalegre"
- "JoseMonteiro's new Portalegre Page"
- "Spiky_2cv's Portalegre Page"
- "Castelo de Vide & Portalegre page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Portalegre
- Hotels in Portalegre
- Transportation in Portalegre
- Restaurants in Portalegre
- Shopping in Portalegre
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Portalegre
- 6 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Portalegre?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Portalegre
Photos in PortalegreSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Funchal Intro, 78 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 76 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porto Santo Island Intro, 42 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 43 photos
- Portugal Intro, 40 reviews, 40 photos
- Santana Intro, 27 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coimbra Intro, 26 reviews, 28 photos
- Óbidos Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cascais Intro, 19 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Machico Intro, 21 reviews, 23 photos