"Santa Cruz" Santa Cruz by salinhopt
Santa Cruz Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 22 photos
Camacha is a beautiful small village a few kilometres east of Funchal and also famous for its apple festival and very active folklore dance troops.
They call this the village of basket makers.
Well, that is not quite true - it is the centre of Madeiras willow craft industry.
Nowadays they make furniture, hats, ornaments, kitchen utensils, wine holders and of course... baskets of all sizes and shapes. All in all over 1000 different articles and an absolute 'must see' for every tourist!
Many consider the Camacha Village the Madeiran Capital of Culture. In fact, if you look around, you will find very talented people and lots of cultural, social and entertainment events.
The visitor in santa Cruz can find all kinds of wicker furniture and decorative pieces.
Caniço is an important tourist resort lying some 10 km east of Funchal. It is a gathering of houses surrounding an important 18th century church. The seaside holiday resort is to be found by travelling southward along Rua Dr. F. Peres to Caniço de Baixo. The Nature Reserve of Parcial do Garajau was created in 1986. This is the only purely marine reserve in Portugal. Extraordinary clear water assures ideal diving conditions and is one of the reasons for the marine biodiversity of this habitat.
"After a while they entered a beautiful bay where they found a handsome and pleasant valley well planted with trees. And here they found some fallen trunks, from which the captain ordered that a cross should be made. This was then placed in the treetops, and the place was name Sancta Cruz (Holy Cross); and later a noble town was founded here." From Elucidário Madeirense
- Pros:The beaches, the sun, the tradition
- In a nutshell:A nice place to relax!
This cathedral is really worth a visit. dates from the 16th century - 1507. Manuelino and gothic styles can be found... more travel advice
salinhopt's Related Pages
Santa Cruz Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Santa Cruz
- Transportation in Santa Cruz
- Shopping in Santa Cruz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santa Cruz
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Santa Cruz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santa Cruz
Photos in Santa CruzSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Funchal Intro, 78 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 76 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porto Santo Island Intro, 42 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 43 photos
- Portugal Intro, 40 reviews, 40 photos
- Santana Intro, 27 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coimbra Intro, 26 reviews, 28 photos
- Óbidos Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cascais Intro, 19 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Machico Intro, 21 reviews, 23 photos