"Santana - Laurissilva forest born here" Santana by salinhopt
Santana Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 66 photos
Characterised by its little thatched triangular houses, Santana is a beautiful village on the north coast. These small houses built of natural stone, thatched with straw and brightly painted have served the locals for centuries as stables and dwellings.
This region lives essentially from agriculture, craftwork and tradition. The mountainous landscapes are dominated by the lush green that characterises the Laurissilva Forest. Some of its landscapes are actually classified as world heritage, what is surely a contribution for the maintenance of its beauty.
With so many attractions to see, it is normal that most tourists have a circle on their maps around Santana as an obligatory place to visit.
Each July a large festival of traditional song and dance is held in the village and draws large crowds of locals and tourists alike.
Only a short distance from Santana is Queimadas, the starting point for one of Madeira's most spectacular Levada walks towards 'Calderão Verde' (the Green Cauldron).
- Pros:The climate, the people, the green, the food...
- In a nutshell:Nature at it's best!
This project foresees the creation of a park dedicated to Madeira expositions History and Culture. It will become an... more travel advice
Pico das Pedras is a forest park in north Santana. It's one of the most beautifull natural parks in Santana. Enjoy the... more travel advice
salinhopt's Related Pages
Santana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Santana - Laurissilva forest born here"
- "The North Coast"
- "Named after St. Anne, mother of the Virgin Mary."
- "Santana - including Queimadas and Pico Ruivo"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Santana
- 27 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Santana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santana
Photos in SantanaSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Funchal Intro, 78 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 76 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porto Santo Island Intro, 42 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 43 photos
- Portugal Intro, 40 reviews, 40 photos
- Santana Intro, 27 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coimbra Intro, 26 reviews, 28 photos
- Óbidos Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cascais Intro, 19 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Machico Intro, 21 reviews, 23 photos