"Sintra - Natural beauty" Sintra by salinhopt
Sintra Travel Guide: 538 reviews and 2,164 photos
The district that is now covered by the Borough of Sintra has been inhabited by man for a very long time indeed. The privileged geographical and environmental situation has over the ages attracted and fixed settlers. Numerous archaeological remains, including prehistoric and protohistoric tombs, testify to its antiquity.
Sintra has remained even nowadays the "noble town surrounded by many estates, pleasant woods with plentiful springs of excellent water", referred to by various old authors.
A tourist region par excellence, Sintra is one of the most delightful places to be found in Portugal. With its extensive range of green bills with its crags - the Serra de Sintra - so picturesquely situated and offering stupendous views of the coastline with its impressive beauty, Sintra is indeed "a garden of the earthly paradise".
The potentialities of the Sintra district are not confined to the wild enchantments of the Serra, sometimes wreathed in mist, and to the artistic heritage of the Old Town, described by Byron as "the most pleasing in Europe", but also include valuable archaeological remains, particularly from the Roman period, ancient manor houses, churches of personalised artistic value and characteristic villages.
- Pros:The nature around mediaval times
- In a nutshell:Sintra city of wonders
The best and fastest way to be in Sintra is taking the train at the Rossio main station in Lisbon. It takes about 30m to... more travel advice
Crowning the Serra de Sintra, as if it were a harmonious prolongation of the range itself, the picturesque and also... more travel advice
salinhopt's Related Pages
Sintra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Freshness near Lisbon"
- "The Pinnacle of Portugal !"
- "Keeweechic's Sintra"
- "Magic Town"
- "Sintra, Portugal"
- "THE NOBLE TOWN OF SINTRA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sintra
- Hotels in Sintra
- Transportation in Sintra
- Nightlife in Sintra
- Restaurants in Sintra
- Shopping in Sintra
- Warnings and Dangers in Sintra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sintra
- 17 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Sintra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sintra
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Funchal Intro, 78 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 76 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porto Santo Island Intro, 42 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 43 photos
- Portugal Intro, 40 reviews, 40 photos
- Santana Intro, 27 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coimbra Intro, 26 reviews, 28 photos
- Óbidos Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cascais Intro, 19 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Machico Intro, 21 reviews, 23 photos