"Back to Madeira after 6 months in Europe" salinhopt's Profile
Visit my Madeira Island Page and Madeira ITU World Triathlon 2004
The island of Madeira has a surface area of 459 square miles (741 km2), (35 miles long and 13 miles wide). The island is 310 miles from the African coast and 620 miles from the European continent, which is the equivalent of a 1 hour 30 minute flight from Lisbon. The archipelago, discovered by the Portuguese in 1418, is made up of the islands of Madeira, Porto Santo and the uninhabited islands of Selvagens and Desertas.
The island's craggy spires and precipices of umber-dark basalt end with a sheer drop into the blue water of the Atlantic Ocean, which is so deep near Madeira that large sperm whales often come close to the shore. If you stand on the sea-swept balcony of Cabo Girao, one of the world's highest ocean cliffs (1,933 ft., or 589m, above sea level), you'll easily realize the island's Eden-like quality, which inspired Luis Vaz de Camoes, the Portuguese national poet, to say Madeira lies "at the end of the world."
Please visit my friend Pepples46 home page in New Zealand
Visit my Porto santo Island Page
A mere 40 km away from the island of Madeira, two and a half hours by boat or, if preferred, just 15 minutes by plane, lies one of the most beautiful and idyllic islands in the world: Porto Santo!
If you believe this to be fanciful exaggeration, then why not come and see for yourself!
The soft and golden sand, renowned for its therapeutic properties, bathed by a warm and crystal clear sea, a dry and stable climate all year round, are but some of its attributes.
It is possible to indulge in every type of outdoor sporting activity on the island of Porto Santo. Apart from water sports such as diving, windsurfing or sailing, you can also enjoy the perfect natural environment as you paraglide from the cliff tops, walk along recently restored primitive footpaths or cycle across the south coast of the island.
Here you will discover the other side of life: Tranquillity!
Visit my Santana Page
Characterised by its little thatched triangular houses, Santana is a beautiful village on the north coast. These small houses built of natural stone, thatched with straw and brightly painted have served the locals for centuries as stables and dwellings.
Visit my Levadas Page
In addition to the natural beauties of Madeira, the region offers a man-made wonder in the shape of the traditional irrigation system of Levadas. These are ideal for the walker.
Visit my Estremoz Page
The region produces excellent marble and has rich and varied traditions to handicraft, which is best seen in the fair at the end of April. Its traditional cuisine is also of a quality to please the illustrious guests it has lodged throughout its long history.
And thanks to all the support, birthday wishes, and all the words. Thanks to all of you, my friends! ;) VT is great!
Notice: If you're planning a trip to Madeira Island here are so details to help you out! :)
You can find direct flights to Madeira from many citys in Europe and one in America:
London, Paris, Zurich, Cologne (Germany) Helsinki, Caracas (Venezuela) and Lisbon
In Lisbon you have two airlines:
TAP Air Portugal and Air Luxor
Direct Flights to Porto Santo are only avaiable in Lisbon and Madeira Island.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 660 Reviews
- 929 Photos
- 5 Countries
- 38 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
- salinhopt and eden_teuling are now friends.
- Commented on pepples46's profile page
updated their Profile Page "Back to Madeira after 6 months in Europe"
- Wrote a Review Esteito de Camara de Lobos Civic Centre in Câmara de Lobos Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Esteito de Camara de Lobos Civic Centre"
- created a Helsingør Travel Page "Under Construction"
- Posted in Travel Portugal Forum "Re: travel tips and direction, thx."
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Funchal Intro, 78 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 76 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porto Santo Island Intro, 42 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 43 photos
- Portugal Intro, 40 reviews, 40 photos
- Santana Intro, 27 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coimbra Intro, 26 reviews, 28 photos
- Óbidos Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cascais Intro, 19 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Machico Intro, 21 reviews, 23 photos