"Little Italy in the Bronx" Top 5 Page for this destination Bronx by Lorro
Bronx Travel Guide: 147 reviews and 332 photos
When visiting New York City many people put the Bronx on their places NOT to visit list. Its true the south Bronx is not generally recommended as a safe tourist destination but don?t let that stop you from going a little further north. Its not Beverly Hills but its very approachable for outsiders. I lived one year on 187th Street and Arthur Avenue in the heart of Little Italy in the Bronx.
Its a working class neighborhood not entirely focused on tourism as in Manhattan which makes it feel more real. I think others who have been here would agree that its more authentic than the Little Italy in Manhattan. Also nearby is the Bronx Zoo and the New York Botanical Garden.
30 years ago almost all of the families living in Belmont were Italian. Did you see the film "A Bronx Tale?" It takes place here. Now there are people of other races here (many from Latin America) but you can still hear people saying "Buon Giorno!" in the morning. You will notice that the buildings and store fronts all seem to be in hues of red, white and green like the Italian flag. On Saturday and Sunday mornings is when I noticed the most "tourists" visiting. Mainly people from New Jersey and Manhattan who just can?t get enough of the good delis, bakeries and imported Italian goods.
I was just here again in July 2005 and its evident that people are discovering this little corner of the Bronx. Over at Mikes Deli in the Arthur Ave Market they are selling the new Arthur Avenue Cookbook and there is a new Clam restaurant on Arthur Ave as well. Stop by this August for the street festival.
Check out these websites:
- Pros:Great food and interesting place to visit.
- Cons:Some people may feel uncomfortable in the Bronx.
- In a nutshell:Don?t let the Bronx reputation keep you away!
We used to go here all the time to get slices of Pizza and Calzones. Once a woman came in from California and said... more travel advice
Probably the most well known place for sweets in the area, a great place to stop for a Cappucino and some pastries. Or... more travel advice
Lorro's Related Pages
Bronx Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to the Boogiedown."
- "I use to live here!!!"
- "ALPHABETICALLY, THE FIRST OF THE FIVE ISLANDS"
- "Little Italy in the Bronx"
- "Behind Enemy Lines"
- "The Bronx"
- "Old Train Stations"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bronx
- Transportation in Bronx
- Nightlife in Bronx
- Restaurants in Bronx
- Shopping in Bronx
- Warnings and Dangers in Bronx
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bronx
- 14 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Bronx?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bronx
Top 10 Pages
- Madrid Intro, 47 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 7 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sevilla Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bronx Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Croatia Intro, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Minnesota Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Granada Intro, 5 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dubrovnik Intro, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Split Intro, 15 photos, 2 travelogues