"The Bridges of Madison County" Winterset by Lorro
Winterset Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 78 photos
There are only 5 ( i think) bridges remaining of many that are were once in use in this area. They have been restored so that future generations can also enjoy them. They are not used anymore but are mostly for decoration.
Why are thy covered?? I thought it would be because they are wooden, so they would not rot. But I was told that this way the horses would not get spooked by the running water of the river as they were crossing the bridge. I dont know, both reasons sound good to me.
Winterset is an interesting place to visit to see some of these beautiful covered wooden bridges of over 100 years old. Winterset is also home to the childhood home of John Wayne. You of course have to have a car to drive to see the bridges. For people not from the US its also a great way to see the heartland of the US. The tourist office of Winterset is in the center of town, on the main square and is very helpful with giving you directions to the different bridges and telling you about other things you can see as well.
In the movie Robert and Franchesca go to a secret place lost in the woods somewhere to have a picnic and time where they... more travel advice
Its in Winterset and I dont remember the address and we didn't have time to go inside. But i got this foto. more travel advice
Lorro's Related Pages
Winterset Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Bridges of Madison County"
- "The romance and lure of Madison County"
- "Winterset - Madison County, Iowa"
- "John Wayne, Covered Bridges, Middle America"
- "Madison County and John Wayne"
- "Nobbe's new Winterset page"
- "Bridges of Madison County...so romantic! :)"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Winterset
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Winterset?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Winterset
Photos in WintersetSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Madrid Intro, 47 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 7 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sevilla Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bronx Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Croatia Intro, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Minnesota Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Granada Intro, 5 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dubrovnik Intro, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Split Intro, 15 photos, 2 travelogues