"Land of Sky Blue Waters" Minnesota by Lorro
Minnesota Travel Guide: 2,897 reviews and 5,605 photos
The name "Minnesota" comes from the Dakota Indian name "Minisota," which means sky-tinted water. And we have a lot of water!!!
Did you know that Minnesota has 90,000 miles of shoreline? Thats more than California, Florida and Hawaii combined! On some of the car liscense plates is written one of the states mottos, Land of 10,000 lakes. But really there are over 12,000!!
Minnesota is a beautiful state and a good place to relax at the lake far away from the stressful life of the city. And for people not from the US its a great place to get away from tourists and see the "real America."
For tips on what to do here see:
We are very proud of our state bird, the Common Loon. Native to parts of northern US and Canada, they live always by water because their legs are too far back on their body to walk well. Because of this they are excellent swimmers. And very fast, they swim under the water to catch fish and can dive up to 90 feet deep. (about 30 meters) The Loon, which is larger than a duck, is a beautiful black with distinctive white markings and red eyes.
The call of the Loon is a eerie laughter-like song that sounds almost like the cry of a wolf. At night it is beautiful, the sound echoing off the lake is haunting and mesmerizing at the same time.
- Pros:Perfect summer, beautiful white winters.
- Cons:Winter temperatures. Usually somewhere between -20 and 0 degrees Centigrade!!
- In a nutshell:Come to Minnesota, We are happy to have you visit!
The Minnesota State Fair! Come for a slice of Americana at its best, 100 kinds of food on a stick, rides, animal... more travel advice
Tornado season is between March and June/July, and Minnesota does get its fair share. This is a picture of a photograph... more travel advice
Lorro's Related Pages
Minnesota Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where I live--the land of 10,000 lakes"
- "Minnesota Back Roads and Byways"
- "Vince Shute Wildlife Sanctuary, near Orr, MN-bears"
- "Minnesota – Gopher State"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Minnesota
- Hotels in Minnesota
- Transportation in Minnesota
- Nightlife in Minnesota
- Restaurants in Minnesota
- Shopping in Minnesota
- Warnings and Dangers in Minnesota
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Minnesota
- 8 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Minnesota?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Minnesota
Top 10 Pages
- Madrid Intro, 47 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 7 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sevilla Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bronx Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Croatia Intro, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Minnesota Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Granada Intro, 5 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dubrovnik Intro, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Split Intro, 15 photos, 2 travelogues