"Paignton, South Devon" Top 5 Page for this destination Paignton by GypsyBessie

Paignton Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 170 photos

Favourite Seaside Resort

After spending holidays for the last 6 or 7 years abroad we decided to have a holiday in Paignton. We had coincidentally been invited to a wedding there so combined the wedding with a week's holiday. It was 12 years since our last visit and the town had hardly changed at all. My first visit to Paignton was with my parents and sister in 1968 when we all fell in love with the place. I also spent my 21st birthday there together with my family and my husband who was then my boyfriend. Paignton is a typical English family seaside resort and perhaps a little commercialised but there it is a very friendly atmosphere. The picture I am uploading is of Paignton Harbour Restaurant where I had my 21st birthday meal with my family so I recalled very many happy memories when we stayed there recently, not to mention 3 very happy holidays there when our two sons were children.

Paignton is in the middle of the
English Riviera with Torquay on one side and Brixham on the other.

Goodrington Sands

A short walk away from Paignton is Goodrington Sands - a lovely safe beach with lots of amenities for children and families.

Dartmouth, Devon

Whilst we were staying in Paignton we visited Dartmouth once again - a beautiful seafaring town on the mouth of the River Dart leading up to Totnes. The Royal Naval College is situated here on a hillside on the banks of the River. Agatha Christie lived here during the time she was writing her novels. We actually caught the steam train from Paignton to Kingswear, the ferry from there to Dartmouth and we cruised for one and a half hours up the River from Dartmouth to Totnes and the bus back from there to Paignton and the scenery was stunning the whole way.

See Dartmouth

• Pros:Family friendly, good transport facilities for touring the whole of Devon and Cornwall, safe beaches
  • Cons:A little commercialised, quite busy in August.
  • In a nutshell:Paignton is a very special place to me
  • Last visit to Paignton: Jul 2003
  • Intro Updated Aug 9, 2003

GypsyBessie

“Keep on travelling while you can - one day it might be too late”

Badges & Stats in Paignton

Have you been to Paignton?

Latest Activity in Paignton