"Paignton, South Devon" Top 5 Page for this destination Paignton by GypsyBessie
Paignton Travel Guide: 77 reviews and 221 photos
After spending holidays for the last 6 or 7 years abroad we decided to have a holiday in Paignton. We had coincidentally been invited to a wedding there so combined the wedding with a week's holiday. It was 12 years since our last visit and the town had hardly changed at all. My first visit to Paignton was with my parents and sister in 1968 when we all fell in love with the place. I also spent my 21st birthday there together with my family and my husband who was then my boyfriend. Paignton is a typical English family seaside resort and perhaps a little commercialised but there it is a very friendly atmosphere. The picture I am uploading is of Paignton Harbour Restaurant where I had my 21st birthday meal with my family so I recalled very many happy memories when we stayed there recently, not to mention 3 very happy holidays there when our two sons were children.
Paignton is in the middle of the English Riviera with Torquay on one side and Brixham on the other.
A short walk away from Paignton is Goodrington Sands - a lovely safe beach with lots of amenities for children and families.
Whilst we were staying in Paignton we visited Dartmouth once again - a beautiful seafaring town on the mouth of the River Dart leading up to Totnes. The Royal Naval College is situated here on a hillside on the banks of the River. Agatha Christie lived here during the time she was writing her novels. We actually caught the steam train from Paignton to Kingswear, the ferry from there to Dartmouth and we cruised for one and a half hours up the River from Dartmouth to Totnes and the bus back from there to Paignton and the scenery was stunning the whole way.
- Pros:Family friendly, good transport facilities for touring the whole of Devon and Cornwall, safe beaches
- Cons:A little commercialised, quite busy in August.
- In a nutshell:Paignton is a very special place to me
Paignton is a wonderful seaside resort to spend with your family, especially with young children. It is ideally situated... more travel advice
GypsyBessie's Related Pages
Paignton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Passing Aquaintance"
- "Paignton, South Devon"
- "Paignton to Kingswear"
- "A (slightly damp) Sunday in and around Paignton"
- "Braving the hills of Paignton - Training Phase II"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paignton
- Hotels in Paignton
- Transportation in Paignton
- Nightlife in Paignton
- Restaurants in Paignton
- Warnings and Dangers in Paignton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paignton
- 3 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Paignton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paignton
Photos in PaigntonSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Wight Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Majorca Island Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Venice Intro, 5 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Southport Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paignton Intro, 3 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dornoch Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Scotland Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Croatia Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Western Isles Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Lago di Como Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos