"VILA DO CONDE" Vila do Conde by northsea

Vila do Conde Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 85 photos

Charming little town on the Atlantic coast

One late afternoon we drove about 25km west from Guimaraes to Vila do Conde. From Porto it must be appr. 20km north.
This town is full of historical buildings, and the best known is the Convent of Santa Clara, dating from 1704, and the 16th century Church. Parts of the old aqueduct wich originaly had 999 arches supporting the water channel who feded the water to the fontain at the monastry.
There is a wide beach facing the Atlantic ocean and nearby there is a good selection of resaurants specialising in the local fish dishes.
The shops also sell the local hand made lace which is traditionally in the shape of seashells.
The old part of Vila do Conde has a bustling Friday market and an interesting medieval quarter.
The traditional fishing is still carried out at the port, and you might find a wooden fishing boat being using the skills and techniques that have been handed down for generations.

Fisherman statue

This statue was erected in honour of the local fishermen.

A gift of a fisherman

We started talking to a fisherman and his family, when we were about to leave, he wanted and insisted to give us this dried fish. I don't believe it was "bacalhau" but can't remember the name.

• Pros:If one day I'm going back to Portugal, this is the place I'm going to stay
  • Cons:I don't think it's a place for young people to stay
  • In a nutshell:The best place for sea-food
  • Last visit to Vila do Conde: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 29, 2007

• Tina-Perth's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2006 at 2:41 AM

That restaurant sounds great Frans! The grilled Atlantic Sole got me thinking about food....

northsea

“Life is short - Take dessert first.”

Badges & Stats in Vila do Conde

Have you been to Vila do Conde?

Latest Activity in Vila do Conde