"Riga - the capital of Latvia" Top 5 Page for this destination Riga by Inguuna
Riga Travel Guide: 1,703 reviews and 4,614 photos
Riga is the capital of Latvia more than eight hundred years. Maybe it's not as large as many European capital cities, but Riga has its own charm and beauty. Riga's ancient centre is Old City, where you can feel all the history from ancient times to nowadays. Mostly it is an architecture where is seen German, Swedish and also Russian influence. Walk through Old Riga and you'll see Baroque, Gothic, Art Nouveau and many other architectural styles which live together. The history also reflects on Old City's street names which show an ancient inhabitants' occupation. There are Kaleju (Blacksmiths') street, Gleznotaju (Painters') street, Meistaru (Masters') street and many other which have interesting names.
But not only Old City is famous. There are also boulevards and parks which take an interest. And if you don't want to stroll around, then you may go to some museum, gallery or sit in cozy restaurant or cafe.
Old Riga is included in UNESCO World Heritage site list in the same way as Latvian Song Festival.
* discover Old City
* see the Art Nouveau buildings in town
* taste the "Laima" chocolate
* go to St. Peter's Church and see Riga from birds-eye view
* or in the evening to Skyline bar and watch Riga at night
- Pros:Chocolate tastes good :)
- Cons:A little bit touristy in summer :)
This is the Top+++ burger after all mcdonalds and hesburgers. Why? They make burgers from bio contents, they know... more travel advice
The Applied folk art and craft fair in the Ethnographic Open-Air museum of Latvia is held every year on the first... more travel advice
Inguuna's Related Pages
Riga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A few days in Riga"
- "Riga - biggest town in Baltic States"
- "A liveable city"
- "Riga - the capital of Latvia"
- "Riga Latvia"
- "ART NOUVEAU RIGA!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Riga
- Hotels in Riga
- Transportation in Riga
- Nightlife in Riga
- Restaurants in Riga
- Shopping in Riga
- Warnings and Dangers in Riga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Riga
- 53 Reviews
- 104 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 33 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Riga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riga
- Commented on one of toddecus's Riga tips
- Posted in Travel Luton Forum "How much time needed to pass..."
- Wrote a Review The best burger in town about Streetburgers in Riga Restaurants
- created a Riga Travelogue "My walking route in Ķīpsala island"
- Uploaded a Photo to "My walking route in Ķīpsala island"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 53 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 28 reviews, 43 photos
- Cesu Rajons Intro, 16 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chenonceau Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos
- Vienna Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos
- Salzburg Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos
- Talsu Rajons Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sigulda Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Cheverny Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos