"Riga - the capital of Latvia" Top 5 Page for this destination Riga by Inguuna
Riga Travel Guide: 1,854 reviews and 5,356 photos
Riga is the capital of Latvia more than eight hundred years. Maybe it's not as large as many European capital cities, but Riga has its own charm and beauty. Riga's ancient centre is Old City, where you can feel all the history from ancient times to nowadays. Mostly it is an architecture where is seen German, Swedish and also Russian influence. Walk through Old Riga and you'll see Baroque, Gothic, Art Nouveau and many other architectural styles which live together. The history also reflects on Old City's street names which show an ancient inhabitants' occupation. There are Kaleju (Blacksmiths') street, Gleznotaju (Painters') street, Meistaru (Masters') street and many other which have interesting names.
But not only Old City is famous. There are also boulevards and parks which take an interest. And if you don't want to stroll around, then you may go to some museum, gallery or sit in cozy restaurant or cafe.
Old Riga is included in UNESCO World Heritage site list in the same way as Latvian Song Festival.
* discover Old City
* see the Art Nouveau buildings in town
* taste the "Laima" chocolate
* go to St. Peter's Church and see Riga from birds-eye view
* or in the evening to Skyline bar and watch Riga at night
- Pros:Chocolate tastes good :)
- Cons:A little bit touristy in summer :)
Although you don’t need to buy anything, just go and see impressive trading place, obsessed sellers, and so different... more travel advice
Rigas SAO - Riga International Coach terminal Jelgavas AO - Jelgava Coach terminal Pietura - Bus stop Muita -... more travel advice
Inguuna's Related Pages
Riga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Turbulent Past Left Behind?"
- "A liveable city"
- "A few days in Riga"
- "Riga - biggest town in Baltic States"
- "Riga - the capital of Latvia"
- "Riga Latvia"
- "ART NOUVEAU RIGA!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Riga
- Hotels in Riga
- Transportation in Riga
- Nightlife in Riga
- Restaurants in Riga
- Shopping in Riga
- Warnings and Dangers in Riga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Riga
- 59 Reviews
- 116 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Riga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riga
Photos in RigaSee All Photos (116)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 59 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 28 reviews, 43 photos
- Cesu Rajons Intro, 16 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bauska Intro, 13 reviews, 42 photos
- Rundale Intro, 7 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chenonceau Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos
- Vienna Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos
- Salzburg Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos
- Talsu Rajons Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos