"Riga - the capital of Baltic's" Top 5 Page for this destination Riga by Inguuna
Riga Travel Guide: 1,537 reviews and 3,861 photos
Riga is the capital of Latvia more than eight hundred years. Maybe it's not as large as many European capital cities, but Riga has its own charm and beauty. Riga's ancient centre is Old City, where you can feel all the history from ancient times to nowadays. Mostly it is an architecture where is seen German, Swedish and also Russian influence. Walk through Old Riga and you'll see Baroque, Gothic, Art Nouveau and many other architectural styles which live together. The history also reflects on Old City's street names which show an ancient inhabitants' occupation. There are Kaleju (Blacksmiths') street, Gleznotaju (Painters') street, Meistaru (Masters') street and many other which have interesting names.
But not only Old City is famous. There are also boulevards and parks which take an interest. And if you don\t want to stroll around, then you may go to some museum, gallery or sit in cozy restaurant or cafe.
Old Riga is included in UNESCO World Heritage site list in the same way as Latvian Song Festival.
* discover Old City
* see the Art Nouveau buildings in town
* taste the "Laima" chocolate
* go to St. Peter's Church and see Riga from birds-eye view
* or in the evening to Skyline bar and watch Riga at night
* buy CD with Brainstorm (very popular Latvian music group)
* taste real Latvian cuisine
* take a lot of pictures with clocks and maybe count how many roosters one can see in Old City
* go to some upcoming event
- Pros:you can buy here the best chocolate
- Cons:a little bit touristy in summer :)
During winter time you can enjoy winter activities by skating in the heart of the city - in the Dome square. There is... more travel advice
In Riga there are no metros, but we have buses, trolleybuses and trams, also one can use small buses which are faster.... more travel advice
Inguuna's Related Pages
Riga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A few days in Riga"
- "Riga - biggest town in Baltic States"
- "Riga - the capital of Baltic's"
- "Riga Latvia"
- "ART NOUVEAU RIGA!"
- "Ice Cold in Riga"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Riga
- Hotels in Riga
- Transportation in Riga
- Nightlife in Riga
- Restaurants in Riga
- Shopping in Riga
- Warnings and Dangers in Riga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Riga
- 43 Reviews
- 73 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 35 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Riga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riga
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 43 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 16 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 27 reviews, 38 photos
- Cesu Rajons Intro, 16 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chenonceau Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos
- Vienna Intro, 11 reviews, 21 photos
- Salzburg Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos
- Talsu Rajons Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sigulda Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cheverny Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos