"Pearl of India Ocean" Sri Lanka by honestjohn

Sri Lanka Travel Guide: 3,825 reviews and 9,156 photos

Base infomation of Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka is called the "Pearl in the Indian Ocean". It's a beautiful island country. The natural view is worth to view. I never visited a country with so much density of forest coverage. In the two sides of the way from Colombo to Kandi, hundreds of miles, it is full of various plants, flowers, etc. It's like travelling in the forest.

Uniques

Long long ago, from some media, I know that in some place of the world, people there they shaking head means "Yes", and nod means "No". But I don't know where it is exactly. Actually, Sri Lanka is the very place that shaking head means yes. and nod means no. It's very interesting. the first day we get there, when our team leader talked with the taxi driver to ask him take us to some place and bargain with him. I stand far from them, I don't know what they are talking about. I just saw the driver alway waving his head. I think maybe the driver don't agree what our team leader said. But after they ended their talk, the leader call us come and said the driver agreed all.

TIPS to buy souvenir in Sri Lanka

In Colombo souvenir shops, almost all the price is fixed, you can hardly bargain with them. In Kandi, all the price can bargain. but even after bargain, the price is higher than in Colombo. therefore, if you want buy some souvenir, I suggest you buy in Colombo government approved market. Price is more reasonalbe there than in Kandi.

• Last visit to Sri Lanka: Sep 2003
  • Intro Updated Oct 22, 2003

• TrendsetterME's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Great photos of Sri Lanka ... :)

• sylina's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2005 at 10:56 PM

Thanks for your nice comments... :) Southern Asia is the most beautiful part of the world to me. Great pics and tips... Let me put India and Sri Lanka on my travel map... greetings :))

• rozehill's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2005 at 2:46 AM

The scenery is gorgeous. So sad about the disaster there 2 weeks ago.

• wonga0's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2004 at 9:02 PM

Having been to Sri Lanka and just back from India .....both countries are beautiful and impressive. Sad to hear about the disaster.

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2004 at 6:30 AM

What did you learn about a different culture from your visit to Sri Lanka Jack? You must bring your son to Australia to visit us one day.

• srupesh's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2004 at 3:43 AM

I hope you enjoyed Colombo. Any plans to visit Sri Lanka Again. Rupesh

• BarbaraForza's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2004 at 5:33 AM

I loved Sri Lanka very much, thanks for your pics.

• irisbe's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2004 at 10:24 PM

I liked Sri Lanka and I liked Kandy too. Prices are sometimes really high for foreigners. What about the Temple of Tooth? and the Botanical garden not so far away?

• coceng's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2003 at 10:02 PM

What was it like to be on the elephant ? are they hairy ?...with some insects crawling on their backs, maybe ? :) Thanks for sharing your pix. Regards.

honestjohn

“Travel with love and friendship, meet different people and experience the different culture,”

Badges & Stats in Sri Lanka

Have you been to Sri Lanka?

Latest Activity in Sri Lanka