"Shanghai, the Oriental Pearl" Top 5 Page for this destination Shanghai Shi by honestjohn
Shanghai Shi Travel Guide: 3,510 reviews and 9,190 photos
Shanghai, situated on the banks of the Yangtze River Delta, is China's largest city. The city's development in the past few decades has made it one of the most important economic, commercial, financial and communications centers of China.
Look at the above picture, just imagine, there is nothing in the same place 10 years ago.
During 2nd World War II, some 6,000,000 Jews were massacred by Nazis, as the persecution aggravated, many Jews, being driven desperate, sought refugee in Shanghai, China as a last resort.
Shanghai received more than 30,000 Jewish refugees from 1933 t0 1940, by the time the pacific war broken out in Dec 1941, there are still had been 25,000 Jewish people lived in Shanghai, Most of them resided in Hongkou District, especially the neighbourhood of Changyang Rd, Tangshan Rd., Huoshan Rd...
In the Ghetto, the Jewish people and the Shanghai residents lived in love and good neighborhood with each other. They built their homes together with their wisdom and friendship. After War, the ghetoo no long exist, however, almost all the Jews around the world know the history that Shanghai once offered valuable shelter for them, and they never forget the ghetto in Hongkou.
- In a nutshell:Modern, International metropolis
Since the Xiang Yang Market closed in June 2006, half of the vendors in Xiang Yang moved their business into Ya Tai... more travel advice
the photos I took in the railway station show the time table from shanghai to other tourist cities in China, such as... more travel advice
honestjohn's Related Pages
Shanghai Shi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Shanghai - China's Biggest and Most Modern City"
- "Shanghai, the Oriental Pearl"
- "Bright Lights of Shanghai"
- "QiBao Ancient Town"
- "That`s Shang High!!"
- "Shanghai China"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shanghai Shi
- Hotels in Shanghai Shi
- Transportation in Shanghai Shi
- Nightlife in Shanghai Shi
- Restaurants in Shanghai Shi
- Shopping in Shanghai Shi
- Warnings and Dangers in Shanghai Shi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shanghai Shi
- 12 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 110 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Shanghai Shi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shanghai Shi
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hangzhou Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shanghai Shi Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cairo Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos
- Luxor Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Aleppo Intro, 1 review, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sri Lanka Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Cambodia Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Hurghada Intro, 1 review, 3 photos