"Rawlins" Rawlins by Yaqui
Rawlins Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 40 photos
Established in 1886 and named after General John Rawlins, Chief of Staff of the US Army. Rawlins is centrally located on the Continental Divide and rich in minerals such as coal, uranium, and natural gas. It became of point of departure for many who were seeking a new beginning in the west due to the lure of gold. Some just stayed and became ranchers of vast cattle and sheep herds. Ranching is still prevalent here and so is the history that abounds here. It is a paradise for hunting and fishing with the mountains of Medicine Bow National Forest being nearby.
We had stopped along the way visiting Independence Rock and Devils Gate. While traveling we were amazed at the vast open land that still abounds here and by the huge herds of antelope that still craze along the open road and fields. We eventually stopped here for the night while traveling from visiting the Black Hills in South Dakota. We had stopped at the state prison. We had the pleasure to see some of the prison because some local bikers invited us in with them. Must have been some fund raising going on. Lots of interesting history here, a must see if your in the area.
Rawlins is located on Interstate Highway 80 mid-way through the southern half of Wyoming
- Pros:Beautiful country with wide open ranges!
- Cons:Just becareful of shady hotel keepers and roaming animals!
- In a nutshell:Beautiful country with lots to explore!
We were amazed at how so many herds of the antelope just roaming around. I grew up in Antelope Valley in California, so... more travel advice
I could not remember the name of the hotel we stayed at, but vividly remember it being located right next to a rock... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Rawlins Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Railroad, Prison, Oil, and Interstate Town"
- "cjg1's new Rawlins Page"
- "Day two down"
- "Basaic Rawlins Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rawlins
- Hotels in Rawlins
- Transportation in Rawlins
- Restaurants in Rawlins
- Warnings and Dangers in Rawlins
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rawlins
- 4 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Rawlins?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rawlins
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 287 reviews, 1078 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 105 reviews, 346 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 59 reviews, 254 photos