"~Mount Vernon~" Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Vernon by Yaqui
Mount Vernon Travel Guide: 192 reviews and 440 photos
Mount Vernon was the home of George and Martha Washington for the time of their marriage from 1759 till his death 1799. Despite long absences for military and public service. Washington diligently expanded his plantation from 2,000 to 8,000 acres and the Mansion house from six rooms to twenty one.
He acquired Mount Vernon in 1754. During the next 45 years he greatly expanded his home to reflect his status as a Virginia gentleman, personally overseeing every detail of design, constrution, and decoration, even when away at war. Vibrant wall color demonstrate the Washingtons wealth and style.
George Washington was born in 1732 into a Virginia planter family, he learned the morals, manners, and body of knowledge requisite for an 18th century Virginia gentleman. He pursued two intertwined interests: military arts and western expansion. At 16 he helped survey Shenandoah lands for Thomas, Lord Fairfax. Commissioned a lieutenant colonel in 1754. As an aide in 1754 to Gen. Edward Braddock, he escaped injury although four bullets ripped his coat and two horses were shot from under him. May 1775, Washington, one of the Virginia delegates, was elected Commander in Chief of the Continental Army. On April 30, 1789, George Washington, took his oath of office as the first President of the United States. "As the first of every thing, in our situation will serve to establish a Precedent," he wrote James Madison, "it is devoutly wished on my part, that these precedents may be fixed on true principles." After only three years of retirement at Mount Vernon, he died of a throat infection December 14, 1799. Martha sealed off the room and never entered it again.http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/presidents/georgewashington
The plaque reads: "Near George Washington's tomb you see the burying place of his slaves containing 150... more travel advice
The plaque reads: “I want a Man that will labour hard, knowing at the same time how to keep a Garden in good Order and... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Mount Vernon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of great farmer and the first US president !"
- "~Mount Vernon~"
- "George Washington Slept Here!"
- "MOUNT VERNON,VIRGINIA--Home Of Our First President"
- "a Sunny day at mount Vernon"
- "Washington's Mount Vernon Plantation"
- "Mount Vernon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Vernon
- Hotels in Mount Vernon
- Transportation in Mount Vernon
- Restaurants in Mount Vernon
- Shopping in Mount Vernon
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Vernon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mount Vernon
- 25 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to Mount Vernon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Vernon
Photos in Mount VernonSee All Photos (89)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 287 reviews, 1078 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 93 reviews, 265 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 59 reviews, 254 photos