"Manassas National Battlefield Park~" Top 5 Page for this destination Manassas National Battlefield Park by Yaqui
Manassas National Battlefield Park Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 223 photos
The 300-acre tract bordered by Bull Run was the scene of two Confederate victories. The First Battle of Manassas, fought July 21, 1861, was the opening engagement of the Civil War and pitted Union brigadier general Irvin McDowell's unseasoned troops against ill-trained but spirited Confederates under Brigadier General P. G. T. Beauregard. The naive, unprepared troops would soon have their hopes of a short war dashed as they came face to face with the horrors and carnage of war. The Union attack was repulsed by Confederates inspired by Gen. Thomas J. Jackson and his Virginians, who stood against the enemy like a "stone wall," earning Jackson his famous epithet. By the day's end, nearly 900 men lay dead and dying on what the day before had been the peaceful farms of Northern Virginia.
Thirteen months later the same armies, now much larger and battle hardened, would again clash over the same ground. Second Manassas, fought on August 28-30, 1862, cleared the way for Gen. Robert E. Lee's first invasion of the North. This time, the destruction would be far greater, more than 23,000 killed, missing or wounded. The outcome of the second battle would lead to the Southern army's first full-scale invasion across the Potomac River into Maryland. Surviving landmarks include the Dogan house, a Union snipers' nest in 1862; the Stone House, a Union field hospital during both battles; and the stone bridge, blown up in 1861 but reconstructed in the 1880s.
This park is free! We explored just before the sun went down since it had cooled off. There was so much more to explore, but the bugs were kind of eating us alive:)
The Loy E. Harris Pavilion is a beatiful structure the serves the community a variety of public and private events. We... more travel advice
This plaque reads: Wartime Manassas~“Fortifications of Immense Strength” During the Civil War, two railroads—the... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Manassas National Battlefield Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Manassas National Battlefield Park~"
- "battle of bull run"
- "MANASSAS/BULL RUN - CIVIL WAR TWO'FER"
- "The Battles Begin"
- "The scene of two major Civil War battles."
- "Manassas National Battlefield"
- "Manassa National Battlefield Park"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Manassas National Battlefield Park
- 20 Reviews
- 92 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (112)
Have you been to Manassas National Battlefield Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manassas National Battlefield Park
Photos in Manassas National Battlefield ParkSee All Photos (92)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 290 reviews, 1091 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 95 reviews, 345 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 308 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos