"~Charlottesville~" Top 5 Page for this destination Charlottesville by Yaqui
Charlottesville Travel Guide: 295 reviews and 771 photos
The first residents of this area were the Monacan village of Monasukapanough, an ancient Native American tribe. By the 1700’s settlers were venturing farther and farther west. These settlers were using old Native American trails and one of these was called Three Notch’d Roads. Villages were laid out along this route. By the 1750’s large grants were being bought once the Albermarle County seat was being created and name after Earl of Albemarle. It was one of these villages located along the Three Notch’d Road was founded called Charlottesville in 1762. This beautiful vibrant city still holds it colonial and southern charm. So many buildings are being maintained and many are still being rescued. Although it suffered greatly like so many other southern towns during the Civil War, this town was left virtually untouched. Main Street downtown is dedicated to pedestrian traffic. So the middle of the street are safe to walk and wonder from the store to store. In the middle of the street the restaurants have dedicated patios for outside dining for their guest if they so choose.
Monticello was the home of Thomas Jefferson for most of his life. He inherited the land that Monticello’s sits on by his Father Peter. By 1768 construction began and Monticello would be Jefferson’s delight who would remodeled it over the forty year period he lived there. This would be his home and where he raised his family.
If you visit Charlottesville, you have to explore the historic downtown mall. Closed to traffic to make it safe, this... more travel advice
The old city hall was once the Levy Opera House in 1852 and in 1981 it was remodeled and converted into the Old City... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Charlottesville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The best place to live in the USA?"
- "This is Thomas Jefferson Country..."
- "Jefferson's Charlottesville"
- "Charlottesville, Main Attractions, Three of Them"
- "Charlottesville - Thomas Jefferson's Hometown"
- "STATELY MONTICELLO!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Charlottesville
- Hotels in Charlottesville
- Transportation in Charlottesville
- Nightlife in Charlottesville
- Restaurants in Charlottesville
- Shopping in Charlottesville
- Warnings and Dangers in Charlottesville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Charlottesville
- 35 Reviews
- 103 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Charlottesville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Charlottesville
Photos in CharlottesvilleSee All Photos (103)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 287 reviews, 1078 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 105 reviews, 346 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 59 reviews, 254 photos