"~Chantilly" Chantilly by Yaqui
Chantilly Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 76 photos
The Sully Farm, is a late 18th century home of Richard Bland Lee. The grounds and associated buildings reflect an earlier era when Lee was Northern Virginia's first congressman and an uncle of Robert E. Lee. He and his wife, Elizabeth Collins Lee, lived here with their children from 1794 to 1811. John and Alice, Ludwell and Nancy and their children, along with some thirty other enslaved African-Americans, overseers and tenant farmers, also resided here during that time. Like other progressive farmers of his day, Lee used the labor of his slaves to transform the land from a tobacco plantation to a diversified crop farm. During his ownership the estate included extensive fields ofgrains and grasses, pasture for livestock, orchards, two acre garden and acres ofwoods.
Situated north of Cain's Branch, Sully consists offive surviving original buildings (the "dwelling house" and four small "houses" or "offices"), two transplanted historic structures, representative gardens and slave quarters and archeological sites. Together they give a multi faceted view ofthe customs and culture ofrural north.em Virginians in the early years of our nation. Courtesy of Fairfax Co. Park Authority.
The plaque reads: At the time of the Civil War, the farms of Sully and Little Sully (no longer standing) were the homes... more travel advice
The Log Schoolhouse is where you get your tickets to see Sully farm and for the tour. The restroom is underneath it and... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Chantilly Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sully Plantation in Chantilly, VA"
- "Richard Bland Lee to John Foster Dulles"
- "Home of Dulles Airport"
- "Chantilly, VA"
- "Herndon, VA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chantilly
- Hotels in Chantilly
- Transportation in Chantilly
- Restaurants in Chantilly
- Shopping in Chantilly
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chantilly
- 10 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (212)
Have you been to Chantilly?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chantilly
Photos in ChantillySee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 300 reviews, 1153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 99 reviews, 380 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 111 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 83 reviews, 321 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos