"Alexandria" Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria by Yaqui
Alexandria Travel Guide: 463 reviews and 1,507 photos
Alexandria was named for the family fo John Alexander, a Virginia Planter who in 1669 acquired the tract on which the town begaon. By 1732, the site was known as Hunting Creek Warehouse and in 1749 became Alexandria, thereafter a major 18th century port.
Just to the north of the spot where Great Hunting Creek entered the Potomac River, a tobacco warehouse and some other small buildings had stood for some time on steep bluffs overlooking a small but deep bay. Philip and John Alexander farmed much of the surrounding land and Hugh West oversaw the warehouse along with a ferry and tavern. In 1748, these men joined with merchants John Carlyle, William Ramsay, John Pagan and others to petition the General Assembly for the creation of a new market town. By July of 1749, the community was laid out, named "Alexandria" in honor of the Alexander family. Retreived from Alexandria's History
Those who have called Alexandria home:
Presidents of the United States: George Washington and Gerald Ford
Supreme Court Justice: Hugo Black
Secretary of the Treasury: Henry Fowler
Virginia Governors: Light Horse Harry Lee, Francis Pierpoint, Colgate Darden and Charles Robb
U.S. Congressmen: C.C. Carlin, William E. Miller, Jerry Voorhis, Howard Worth Smith and Frank Korell
Diplomats: George Kennan and Hodding Carter
Novelists: James Strange French, Frances Parkinson Keyes, Richard Halliburton, Dumas Malone and Ilka Dickman
Military Leaders: Admiral William J., Crowe, General Robert E. Lee, General Andrew J. Goodpaster, General Carl A. Spatz and General Montgomery Corse
Industrialist: Andrew Carnegie
Labor Leader: John L. Lewis
Poets: Daniel Bryan and Jean Elliot
Retrieved fromThe City of Alexandria
- Pros:A wonderful city filled with our countries history!
- Cons:Traffic and parking not at its best:)
- In a nutshell:A city of old and new!
I just posted this for fun. While exploring beautiful Alexandria, we walked pass this business who is very proud of... more travel advice
Christ Church was the first Episcopal Church in Alexandria and has played an important role in the life of the city... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Alexandria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alexandria, once part of Washington, now almost DC"
- "Historical Alexandria"
- "b1bob passes frequently through Alexandria, VA"
- "Hello, Welcome to Old Town Alexandria"
- "A visit to Alexandria Old Town"
- "Alexandria: Washington's Best Suburb"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alexandria
- Hotels in Alexandria
- Transportation in Alexandria
- Nightlife in Alexandria
- Restaurants in Alexandria
- Shopping in Alexandria
- Warnings and Dangers in Alexandria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alexandria
- 23 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (201)
Have you been to Alexandria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alexandria
Photos in AlexandriaSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 290 reviews, 1093 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 95 reviews, 345 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 308 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos