"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" Top 5 Page for this destination Salt Lake City by Yaqui

Salt Lake City Travel Guide: 524 reviews and 1,255 photos

Salt Lake City and more!

Temple square is one of Salt Lake Cities biggest attractions that at least 5 million people annually venture here to see the beautiful Cathedral, Gardens, Tabernacle, and to learn what inspired the Mormon Poineers to make this their home. On July 24, 1847 Brigham Young looked down into a great salt lake valley and declared, "This is the right place." By sheer will and their strong faith in God, they Mormon poineers had to endure the hardship of the isolated and arid spot to make it what it is today, Salt Lake City.

They fought hard to irrigate the desert to grow enough food for themselves. The square consist of the Temple which took 40 years to complete. The Tabernancle that seats 6,500 and it's domed roof is the largest in the world. There are two vistor center that display religious and historical aspects of Mormon life, a beautiful assembly hall used for large gatherings, and the Log Cabin, the oldest house in Salt Lake City. Very impressive and a must see.

Salt Lake City

Simply beautiful!

The temple is used by Church members for marriages and other sacred ordinances designed to strengthen families, both now and for eternity. The east center tower is 210 feet high and is topped by the statue of an angel heralding the restoration to the earth of the gospel of Jesus Christ in the latter days.

Have faith and you will go far!

You know I have found many people that are somewhat suspicious of this religion. And that is ok because everyone is entitled to their opinion. Yet, for me the one huge thing that stands out for me is they remind me of ALL OF US. We all want freedom and the right to worship what we want too. They have proven that America is their country and have made many sacrifices for her!

• Pros:Beautiful City
  • Cons:Didn't have enough available parking in the downtown area!
  • In a nutshell:A must see to understand the faith and drive!
  • Last visit to Salt Lake City: Dec 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 17, 2009

• wilocrek's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I live in SLC and am impressed with your detailed tips and wonderful pictures! Additionally I appreciate your unbiased take on the city, most people already have their mind made up.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Thanks Dee for the SLC tour!! I especially was happy to see the Beehive House and The Lion house! I'm reading, "The 19th Wife" which tells about these places. Very interesting, the book and your page!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2011 at 1:35 PM

I'm glad to hear that the Salt Lake isn't dead (which is also what I thought) but supports a lot of fish and wildlife. I've been hearing about Utah and SLC lately because three singers of the Frankfurt Opera ensemble used to sing at the Utah Opera.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Went to Salt Lake when I was young. Floating wasn't nice because of all the salt that stays on you. Came back in 2007, drove through the city and went on to Park City. lol No SLC stop. :-(

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Houses such as Beehive House, Lion House and Devereaux House all look amazing. So are the Church Office Building, the Mormon Temple and Assembly Hall. Thanks for sharing. We hope to visit Salt Lake City one day. ~ho & pang

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2009 at 12:20 PM

In 88 I spent a few hours between buses taking me from CA to Canada in Salt Lake City. I remember the mormon temple from your intro page.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Wow, Dee, sure makes me want to see Salt Lake City for the 1st time. The flowers, statues, fountains, great architecture...Beehive House...wow..love the history of the Mormons, too. Terrific work.

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2009 at 4:03 AM

Hi Dee, nice tips here for Salt Lake City.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2009 at 8:22 AM

Hi Dee! Got back from Houston and now thinking of our drive to NM-DV this coming month...but I might include UTAH...I will absent my 5 yo twins from school, hehehe...Norman :)

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2008 at 5:23 PM

Enjoyed your pages . I hope to visit this summer. ( great snow picture on your homepage too!)

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in Salt Lake City

Have you been to Salt Lake City?

Photos in Salt Lake City