"Amarillo~"Howdy"" Top 5 Page for this destination Amarillo by Yaqui
Amarillo Travel Guide: 137 reviews and 297 photos
Since the 16th century, Amarillo and the Texas Panhandle have drawn visitors from around the world. Francisco Coronado, the first European to see the vast open spaces of the American Southwest, crossed the high plains in 1541 -- nearly 80 years before the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock. He was followed by cattlemen and sheep herders from all points of the compass looking for fresh grazing grounds and a place to start a new life. Most famous of them was Charles Goodnight, inventor of the chuck wagon and a the basis of a character in Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove series.
When the oil boom hit Texas, it exploded across the Texas Panhandle. Vast fortunes were made overnight and the region's economy grew because of the lure of black gold.
Since World War II, the Panhandle economy has diversified to include heavy manufacturing, petrochemicals, farming and, of course, modern ranching. In the last decades, the ranches have been the key to a new industry--tourism. The Amarillo area is now a major destination for Old West enthusiasts from all over the globe.
Amarillo and the surrounding Panhandle area are a unique blend of two American eras. There are the working ranches, essentially unchanged in the day-to-day operations from the late nineteenth century. That's why we say when you step into Amarillo, you "Step Into The Real Texas." http://www.visitamarillotx.com/aboutAmarillo.cfm?p=History
Even if you don't stop to eat at the Country Barn Steakhouse restaurant, stop and see the very big Texan. It reminds me... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Amarillo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Amarillo Page"
- "A City Not Ready to Die with Boots on"
- "Why am I in Amarillo?"
- "Amarillo by Mornin'"
- "Texas Roadhouse and Cavendar's Boot City"
- "Build it and They will come: Cadillac Ranch"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amarillo
- Hotels in Amarillo
- Transportation in Amarillo
- Nightlife in Amarillo
- Restaurants in Amarillo
- Shopping in Amarillo
- Warnings and Dangers in Amarillo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amarillo
- 3 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (200)
Have you been to Amarillo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amarillo
Photos in AmarilloSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 290 reviews, 1093 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 95 reviews, 345 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 308 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos