"Nashville~" Top 5 Page for this destination Nashville by Yaqui

Nashville Travel Guide: 782 reviews and 1,913 photos

Parthenon~Athena

In 1796, Tennessee became the 16th state admitted to the Union. With the War of 1812, Tennessee earned its affectionate nickname of the "Volunteer State" by sending hundreds more soldiers to the war than was asked. And soon after, Nashville began to develop its own nicknames. In 1824, the music publishing industry took root with the publication Western Harmony, a book of hymns and instructions for singing. Unbeknownst at the time, the book helped shape Nashville as "Music City" and the "Buckle of the Bible Belt."

Andrew Jackson was elected the seventh president in 1828. He built his plantation, The Hermitage, for his beloved wife Rachel. The home and acreage remain today one of the few presidential homes with a majority of the original furnishings on display.

Nashville was named the permanent capital of Tennessee in 1843, and one year later another Tennessean was elected president - James K. Polk. The year 1845 ushered in the construction of the state capitol building, designed by William Strickland, and the death of Andrew Jackson. Polk died in 1849, only a few years after Jackson's death, and was buried with his wife on the grounds of the State Capitol. During the Civil War, African-American Nashvillians helped Union troops construct Fort Negley. The partially-restored fort overlooking downtown is open to the public.

Like many cities, the Civil War steered Nashville in a new direction - a direction looking toward the future and the education of its youth. In a span of 25 years following the war, four colleges were founded including Vanderbilt University as well as Fisk University and Meharry Medical College - colleges established for the higher education of African Americans. With the opening of these learning centers, Nashville developed a third prominent nickname, the "Athens of the South."http://www.visitmusiccity.com/visitors/nashvillehistory

• Pros:A city of entertainment~
  • Cons:Not too many things for kids~
  • In a nutshell:More than just history, but the history of music~
  • Last visit to Nashville: Jul 2012
  • Intro Updated Sep 15, 2012

• wabat's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2014 at 4:56 AM

Dee, I was a little confused by your page picture for Nashville. Now I understand - lots more than country music. Great page.

• ncfg's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Excelent page. It's a good place to explore. I love the bronze sculptures :-)

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Thank you Nat! I was on an adventure cross country moving my sister. We didn't stop too much, but certainly made time for this neat city.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2012 at 4:16 AM

A good informative page! There is so much to see and do here, and I love all the statues you found. Sounds great!

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Thank you Dee for visiting my Nashville page. There was so much more I wanted to see, but we had to hit road. Someday I want to return and spend more time.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Oct 19, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I imagine somewhere as famous as Nashville would have heaps to see.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2012 at 4:44 PM

A very informative page! I’ve never been to Nashville but of course have listened to the music. As a child I didn't listen to the Grand Ole Opry because WSM was a bit far away from where we lived. Instead, I listened to the "Good Old One and Only WLS National Barn Dance" from the 9th Street Theater Hayloft in downtown Chicago.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Excellent Nashville travel pages. Surprise and glad to see the Parthenon structure and Athena in Nashville although they are replicas. The memories of Athens are still fresh in our mind as we went there in April. Happy to hear that these are permanent structures. ~ho & pang

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I was not expecting to see so many colonels in Nashville, Dee :)))) This for sure is a place I hope to visit when I will come to the south and listen to some music in its original form and in the very place where great singers and musicians began their career or absolutely wanted to perform there. Nice!

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:53 PM

The music is every where here. I so much wanted to wonder around town at night, but didn't get the chance. Fiddlers Inn has folks that will drive you to town and pick you up so you don't have to drive. Thank you for visiting my page, much appreciated.

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Thank you!

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in Nashville

Have you been to Nashville?

Latest Activity in Nashville