"Bristol, Tennessee~" Bristol by Yaqui
Bristol Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 28 photos
General Evan Shelby moved his family and settled at a place called Big Camp Meet. Shelby renamed the site Sapling Grove and erected a fort on a hill in 1774. The fort (Shelby Station) became a trading post and stockade for travlers passing thru.
Colonel James King, an immigrant from Ireland and a patriot in the American Revolution, purchased the Shelby land setting up an ironworks and a sawmill, which became a great boon to the area, later Colonel King started a furniture works to meet the high demand for the quality wood. Reverend James King, the colonel's son, brought in new sawmill equipment and built the largest stone milldam. Joseph R. Anderson, Reverends son, laid out the original Town of Bristol, Tennessee/Virginia, which building began in 1853.
The Virginia and Tennessee Railroads reached the cities in the late summer of 1856. Due to having two different railroads companies, two depots served the cities; one in Bristol, TN and the other in Goodson, VA. However, the depot located in Goodson continued to be referred to as Bristol, Virginia. In 1890, Goodson, VA returned to the name Bristol.
You can see this along Interstate 81 and this is on the Virginia side of Bristol. The City of Bristol boarders on the... more travel advice
These places are a wealth of information and this one is located at: Bristol TN/VA Convention & Visitors Bureau 20... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Bristol Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bristol, Tennessee~"
- "Starlas's new Bristol Page"
- "bamaoutdoors's new Bristol Page"
- "Bristol, Tennessee"
- "What's In Bristol?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bristol
- Hotels in Bristol
- Restaurants in Bristol
- Warnings and Dangers in Bristol
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bristol
- 4 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (208)
Have you been to Bristol?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bristol
Photos in BristolSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 300 reviews, 1153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 99 reviews, 380 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 111 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 83 reviews, 321 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos