"~Gettysburg National Military Park~" Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park by Yaqui

A major turning point in our history~

Gettysburg, is considered to be one of the greatest and bloodiest battles of the civil war that lasted July 1-3 in 1863, the war that pitted brother against brother, neighbor against neighbor.

During the early morning on July 1 in 1863 is when the Union and the Confederate army collided. The battle escalates through the day with Confederates lead by A.P. Hill and Ewell and Union lead by Reynolds, Doubleday and Howard, but ends up battling through the town of Gettysburg, and back to Cemetery and Culp’s Hills.

July 2 both armies arrive on a field where Confederates troops lead by Longstreet, A.P.Hill and Ewell try to repel them so fighting rages on at Little Round Top, Wheatfield, Devil's Den, and Peach Orchard where the Union lead by Sickles, Hancock, Newton, Howard, and Slocum are dug in. Confederates lead by Longstreet almost succeeds in unlogged them, but with reinforcements arrive to repel the attack lead by Union Sedgwick who arrives just in time. Yet, the Confederate lead by Ewell are able to capture part of Culp’s Hill.

By July 3, Confederate General Lee tried to turn the tide of the battle by using his artillery that bombards the Union forces for over two hours and then he sends in 12,000 infantry called “Picket’s Charge” to break the Union lines on Cemetery Ridge. Confederate Ewell tries to take the rest of Culp’s Hill. Yet, the Confederate experiencing way too many losses and General Lee withdraws his troops to Virginia.

During this 3-day battle, 51,000 Union and Confederate Troops lay dead, wounded, dying, or missing.

There is still the feeling of such sadness here for myself. As if there are still souls lingering here. Its a pretty huge park, so with limited time, I was not able to photograph all the beautiful markers and there is "a lot". So make sure to take a whole day to see it. I love historical markers and it was quite the overload for myself and my sister.

Although, there is practically nothing but historical markers, plaques, and beautiful momuments. They all have a story to tell, a story of hardship, sadness, pain, but honor and glory. So we tasked ourselves to read, enjoyed and honor to learn about those who sacrificed for what they believed in. My Great Grandfather and Great Great Grandfather fought during the Civil War on differents sides and both survived. So I can appreciate personally their survival.

Gettysburg~The Historic Town

Please visit the town of Gettysburg. I think this wonderful piece of history that gets overlooked. The center square is absolutely beautiful and all the folks were so friendly and kind.

• In a nutshell:The Civil War still echos here~~~
  • Last visit to Gettysburg National Military Park: Dec 2010
  • Intro Updated Jun 1, 2011

• DennyP's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2012 at 6:31 AM

Hi Dee...Thanks so much for visiting my ULURU and Kata Tjuta page..I have just stopped by your Gettysburg page...wonderful opening pic of "little round top" ...yes., I know the history and being a military history buff...love your tips and info along with great pics..Would love to visit Gettysburg...it will happen one day!..take care ..Denny

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2012 at 3:31 AM

Some really great info and pics for history buffs to enjoy. amazing details and quite a lot of effort put into this page. Good job Dee.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Dee, what a detailed document of a grueling battle! I haven't been to Gettysburg NMP, but it does remind me of Antietam National Battlefield and Waterloo Battlefield! Devastating reality.

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Very cool pages, tips and photos!

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Amazing travel page for the Military Park. You put so much effort into it for us, the reader. I can't wait to go one day but you made it seem like we were there! Another wonderful page :)

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Wonderful travel pages on National Military Park! Lots of great and beautiful plaques, monuments and memorials complete with detailed information and fascinating photographs. Thanks for sharing these pages. Thanks also for visiting our Turkey travel pages. ~ho & pang

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Dee, this is amazing! I have a friend who is a war buff and I directed him to have a peek at your pages. He will be thrilled. Your dedication and hard work is so impressive.

• Maria250's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2011 at 2:39 AM

What an intense page. What a great chance for those that can't go and visit there. Thank you.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2011 at 5:06 AM

Dee, you have done a wonderful job documenting the wording on these monuments which I'm sure is a "labor of love." Gettysburg is place for reflection & reverence---I hope there is never another Civil War in our country.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2011 at 7:06 AM

Great historical page, you have done an excellent VT-job! Never knew about this memorial place and fascinated very much. We have such a memorial in Borodino close to Moscow where a battle with Napoleon took place in 1812.

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in Gettysburg National Military Park

Have you been to Gettysburg National Military Park?

Latest Activity in Gettysburg National Military Park