"~Gettysburg National Military Park~" Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park by Yaqui
Gettysburg National Military Park Travel Guide: 128 reviews and 494 photos
Gettysburg, is considered to be one of the greatest and bloodiest battles of the civil war that lasted July 1-3 in 1863, the war that pitted brother against brother, neighbor against neighbor.
During the early morning on July 1 in 1863 is when the Union and the Confederate army collided. The battle escalates through the day with Confederates lead by A.P. Hill and Ewell and Union lead by Reynolds, Doubleday and Howard, but ends up battling through the town of Gettysburg, and back to Cemetery and Culp’s Hills.
July 2 both armies arrive on a field where Confederates troops lead by Longstreet, A.P.Hill and Ewell try to repel them so fighting rages on at Little Round Top, Wheatfield, Devil's Den, and Peach Orchard where the Union lead by Sickles, Hancock, Newton, Howard, and Slocum are dug in. Confederates lead by Longstreet almost succeeds in unlogged them, but with reinforcements arrive to repel the attack lead by Union Sedgwick who arrives just in time. Yet, the Confederate lead by Ewell are able to capture part of Culp’s Hill.
By July 3, Confederate General Lee tried to turn the tide of the battle by using his artillery that bombards the Union forces for over two hours and then he sends in 12,000 infantry called “Picket’s Charge” to break the Union lines on Cemetery Ridge. Confederate Ewell tries to take the rest of Culp’s Hill. Yet, the Confederate experiencing way too many losses and General Lee withdraws his troops to Virginia.
During this 3-day battle, 51,000 Union and Confederate Troops lay dead, wounded, dying, or missing.
There is still the feeling of such sadness here for myself. As if there are still souls lingering here. Its a pretty huge park, so with limited time, I was not able to photograph all the beautiful markers and there is "a lot". So make sure to take a whole day to see it. I love historical markers and it was quite the overload for myself and my sister.
Although, there is practically nothing but historical markers, plaques, and beautiful momuments. They all have a story to tell, a story of hardship, sadness, pain, but honor and glory. So we tasked ourselves to read, enjoyed and honor to learn about those who sacrificed for what they believed in. My Great Grandfather and Great Great Grandfather fought during the Civil War on differents sides and both survived. So I can appreciate personally their survival.
Please visit the town of Gettysburg. I think this wonderful piece of history that gets overlooked. The center square is absolutely beautiful and all the folks were so friendly and kind.
- In a nutshell:The Civil War still echos here~~~
Spoken during the dedication in November 1863 of a new cemetery for all veterans of the Civil War that was fought here... more travel advice
The First Memorial: 16th Vermont Infantry, Colonel W. G. Veazey commanding First Army Corps July... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Gettysburg National Military Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "~Gettysburg National Military Park~"
- "GETTYSBURG - LEE IS REPULSED"
- "The Fate of the Nation"
- "Gettysburg National Military Park"
- "Three Days in July (1863)"
- "America's Battlefield"
- "GETTYSBURG BATTLEFIELD, Touring with Mary & Geoff"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gettysburg National Military Park
- Transportation in Gettysburg National Military Park
- Restaurants in Gettysburg National Military Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gettysburg National Military Park
- 50 Reviews
- 193 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (207)
Have you been to Gettysburg National Military Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gettysburg National Military Park
Photos in Gettysburg National Military ParkSee All Photos (193)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 300 reviews, 1153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 99 reviews, 380 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 111 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 83 reviews, 321 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos