"~Gettysburg-The Town~" Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg by Yaqui
Gettysburg Travel Guide: 410 reviews and 913 photos
Way before the before the battle of Gettysburg, Gettysburg was once called Marsh Creek. It was purchased from the Iroquois Nation in 1736 by the William Penn family. It was here where many Scottish and Irish immigrants settled to find a new beginning. Around 1758 this area caught between the French and Indian War, the settlers experience violence at the hands of both French and Indian parties. Plundering and murdering settlers caught in their path. By 1761, a settler named Samuel Getty has built a tavern for travelers passing by and when his son James inherited the tavern, he bought many town lots and established them around their tavern. By the 1800’s the town was known as Gettysburg and became part of the Adams county seat. By 1860, the town had over 2,000 citizens and over 400 thriving businesses.
During this 3-day battle, 51,000 Union and Confederate Troops lay dead, wounded, or missing. The town of Gettysburg was left to pick up the pieces with so many still wounded and dying solders spread out through the whole community with barns and homes becoming makeshift hospitals. Graves are dug hastily and so badly and with thousands of carcasses of dead horses are so piled up; the stench makes the town’s folk sick. It was during this time the Governor Andrew Curtin of Pennsylvania, has a local attorney David Wills to purchase 17 acres of land to rebury the dead, which becomes Gettysburg National Cemetery. It was during the cemetery’s dedication in November of 1863 President Lincoln visited and gave one of his famous speeches. If you ever visit any Veterans Cemeteries there is always a plaque located among the honored with the speech of the “Gettysburg Address”
Please visit the town of Gettysburg. I think this wonderful piece of history gets overlooked. The center square is absolutely beautiful and all the folks were so friendly and kind.
- In a nutshell:Historic, Beautiful, & Much to Learn~
On July 1, 1863, Gettysburg's center square was the eye in the storm of panic and confusion that swirled in the town's... more travel advice
Alexander Dobbin was born in Ireland in 1742. In December of 1773. after studying for the ministry. he came to America... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Gettysburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GETTYSBURG-The Address, The Heroism And The Fallen"
- "My Family's Home"
- "Historical but Commercialized"
- "~Gettysburg-The Town~"
- "Gettysburg, history to discover"
- "Like my second home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gettysburg
- Hotels in Gettysburg
- Transportation in Gettysburg
- Nightlife in Gettysburg
- Restaurants in Gettysburg
- Shopping in Gettysburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Gettysburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gettysburg
- 21 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to Gettysburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gettysburg
- Posted in Travel Los Angeles Forum "Re: free Los Angeles photo..."
- Wrote a Review "by the skin of our teeth" Plaque in Gettysburg Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hotel Gettysburg 1797"
- updated a Gettysburg Travel Page "~Gettysburg-The Town~"
- Commented on one of easterntrekker's Gettysburg travel pages
Photos in GettysburgSee All Photos (54)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 287 reviews, 1078 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 105 reviews, 346 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 93 reviews, 265 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 59 reviews, 254 photos