"Guthrie" Guthrie by Yaqui

Guthrie Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 96 photos

When I visited some wonderful friends in Oklahoma City, they made a point to bring me to Guthrie, Ok. It was a favorite of my photographer friend who loved to use the backdrop of this wonderful historical community for his photographs. I thoroughly enjoyed exploring what this little gem of a town had to offer. We wondered about taking pictures of the buildings, murals and shopped at all the local antiques stores. We did make a point to take a break and have some ice cream and pie at this delightful place called Granny’s. I could not remember what it was called at the time, but I remember the rustic atmosphere and the wonderful murals.

Guthrie found its beginnings during the land rush of 1889, and grew to become the capital of Oklahoma territory 1889 till it became a state in 1907. Yet, in 1910 OKC became the new state capitol and Guthrie started to feel the loss from not having the popularity it had from its distinction of being the capital. Yet, through the years it maintained the original architecture it now boasts still and being very historically sound with its beauty and history, all awhile Oklahoma City was destroying there’s because of industrial and urban sprawl. Bravo Guthrie for your foresight in maintaining your treasures so we all can enjoy them still.

Guthrie

• Pros:Lovely Historical Gem!
  • Cons:None that I can see!
  • In a nutshell:Not far from OKC, you should seek it out for sure!
  • Intro Updated Oct 25, 2006

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2009 at 4:48 AM

As a lover of architecture and old buildings, I found this page delightful. Also the murals were wonderful. Your presentations of small, hidden "gems" is impressive. Pie and coffee sounds good right now.

• JosM's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2007 at 1:50 AM

Beautiful architecture and murals! Enjoy mother's day! Hugs from over the ocean.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2006 at 1:28 PM

Wonderful old buildings, murals and museum. I was in Oklahoma just three weeks ago, but still haven't been to Guthrie yet.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2006 at 12:39 AM

Nice architecture! Hugs :-)

• Maria250's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2005 at 12:22 AM

Thank you, dear Dee! Yep, in four weeks it's up and away. Can't wait. Want a KS card to enclude to? Maria

• TravelCool's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2005 at 8:39 AM

In 2003 I met a woman who was dressed as a mermaid in Oklahoma. More recently she sent me an autographed picrure of her on a beach.

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2005 at 7:12 PM

I'm dying for this one to spring into life. . .

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in Guthrie

Have you been to Guthrie?

Latest Activity in Guthrie