"~Delhi~Oklahoma" Delhi by Yaqui
Delhi Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 20 photos
The Price family were the first to settle here in 1888. Delhi did appear on the 1895 map of Oklahoma Territory and Greer County, Texas. The first postoffice was offically established in Jan of 1893 and the Barefield family was established here in 1898. My Grandfather even owned and ran one of the local stores. Much of town was burned down in the late 1920's and was relocated west called New Delhi, but it was never the same. Over time, children grew up and left and eventually families moved into Sayre. The Delhi Cemetery and a some farms are all that is left. Yet, it is still a wonderful source for ancestry for many generations to come.
This is the home of my Grandmother Lena Barefield located in Delhi, Ok. She is holding my sister Monica and my other sister Cynthia is standing next to her. My Mom stayed with her Mom while my dad was completing a remote tour is Saudi Arabia. This house was built by my Grandfather Willis on the land he earned during the OK land grab and this community is located along Route 66. Sadly the house was torn down by my Uncle for some reason back in the later 70's. I feel fortunate to have seen it and walked through it during a visit. It was the first and last time.
During our 3,000 mile adventure towing a 24 Ft Budget truck and towing car, we had to stop along the way and visit our roots. Delhi is forever in my mind and heart. It is all still a farming community, and still has a sign that points the way. Pretty much all that is left is the cemetery, high school hall, and about 5 homes located next to the cemetery. Yet, it was neat to visit my grandparents and Aunts. Plus, we stopped in the wonderful little town Sayre and had a wonderful chat with the lady that ran the antique store.
- Pros:Sayre is not far with services~
- Cons:No Services!
- In a nutshell:A town gone, but not forgotten!
Dedicated to my roots! And on the 8th day God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker!". So,... more travel advice
In 1903, the one room Delhi Academy was established in 1921. The Academy was replaced by a consolidated school housed in... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Delhi Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Delhi
- 4 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (208)
Have you been to Delhi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Delhi
Photos in DelhiSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 300 reviews, 1153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 99 reviews, 380 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 111 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 83 reviews, 321 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos