"~Delhi~Oklahoma" Delhi by Yaqui

Delhi Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 20 photos

~Delhi~

The Price family were the first to settle here in 1888. Delhi did appear on the 1895 map of Oklahoma Territory and Greer County, Texas. The first postoffice was offically established in Jan of 1893 and the Barefield family was established here in 1898. My Grandfather even owned and ran one of the local stores. Much of town was burned down in the late 1920's and was relocated west called New Delhi, but it was never the same. Over time, children grew up and left and eventually families moved into Sayre. The Delhi Cemetery and a some farms are all that is left. Yet, it is still a wonderful source for ancestry for many generations to come.

This is the home of my Grandmother Lena Barefield located in Delhi, Ok. She is holding my sister Monica and my other sister Cynthia is standing next to her. My Mom stayed with her Mom while my dad was completing a remote tour is Saudi Arabia. This house was built by my Grandfather Willis on the land he earned during the OK land grab and this community is located along Route 66. Sadly the house was torn down by my Uncle for some reason back in the later 70's. I feel fortunate to have seen it and walked through it during a visit. It was the first and last time.

During our 3,000 mile adventure towing a 24 Ft Budget truck and towing car, we had to stop along the way and visit our roots. Delhi is forever in my mind and heart. It is all still a farming community, and still has a sign that points the way. Pretty much all that is left is the cemetery, high school hall, and about 5 homes located next to the cemetery. Yet, it was neat to visit my grandparents and Aunts. Plus, we stopped in the wonderful little town Sayre and had a wonderful chat with the lady that ran the antique store.

• Pros:Sayre is not far with services~
  • Cons:No Services!
  • In a nutshell:A town gone, but not forgotten!
  • Intro Updated Sep 9, 2012

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2013 at 2:56 AM

I see Delhi means a lot to you. I never knew there was a Delhi in the USA!

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2012 at 2:37 PM

beautiful photo of the bell; and so interesting to have ties to these pieces of history!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
      Sep 30, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Thank you Trish for visiting this tiny community. It is sad so much is gone, but at least with the huge granite marker, the history can continue.

• MD2nd's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2011 at 4:57 AM

That's a precious little read! Thank you for sharing! And thank you for time & attention to care about me..

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Oh, Dee, what a magnificent old photo to present personal history...So sad about the house but so marvelous that you have that picture.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2010 at 4:06 AM

Too bad that old house was torn down! I didn't know there was ever a town called Delhi in Oklahoma. (My daughter is now in Delhi, India, hoping her flight to Frankfurt on Saturday will not be cancelled because of the volcano.)

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2010 at 1:44 AM

I completely agree with you: a lovely town from our past may gone, but never forgotten, should further live at least in our memory. Best. L.

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in Delhi