"New York City!" New York City by Yaqui

New York City Travel Guide: 15,727 reviews and 31,521 photos

The famous Times Square Kiss.......MUAH!!!!!!!!!!

Life Magazine photographer Alfred Eisenstadt, perfectly captured the nation’s jubilation on Aug. 14, 1945 – V-J Day of then Sailor Glenn McDuffie and then Nurse Edith Shain!!

In honor of ~Edith Shain (Nurse)~1919-2010

New Amsterdam??

Who would had thought back in the 1600’s our Dutch descendants and later from all over the world, would have thought of how much New York and New York City would had blossomed into the major metropolis it is today. Just think in 1626 Peter Minuit was appointee of the first director’s office (Dutch) to oversea development, he had purchased an entire island where most of the Indians lived, some twenty-two thousand acres for $24 worth of beads and ribbons, which is Manhattan now and then built a fort at the southern point and calling it New Amsterdam.

Over time the province of New York grew steadily to the time of the Revolution. Every decade witnessed the coming of immigrants looking for a new beginning in a new land in large numbers to the valley of the Hudson. French Protestants Scotch, Irish, Scotch-Irish, refugees from the Rhenish palatinate, and others spread over the beautiful river valleys; but the great majority of the people were not just the English, but mostly Dutch. By 1750 the population was probably eighty thousand and this number was more than doubled by the opening years of the Revolution and the rest is history.

Today, the high rises glisten and rise to touch the clouds, while life carries around at their base. People are constantly hustling and bustling about to and from their jobs or their daily tasks at hand and as the sun goes down life does not stand still here but takes on another persona, the bright crazy lights of Times Square and Broadway…….New York, New York, a wonderful town

New York, New York

Start spreadin' the news, I'm leavin' today
I want to be a part of it
New York, New York
These vagabond shoes, are longing to stray
Right through the very heart of it

I want to wake up, in a city that never sleeps
And find I'm king of the hill
Top of the heap

It's up to you, New York..New York

New York...New York
I want to wake up, in a city that never sleeps
And find I'm A number one, top of the list
King of the hill, A number one....

These little town blues, are melting away
I'll make a brand new start of it
In old New York
If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere
It's up to you, New York..New York New York!!!
by Frank Sinatra

• Pros:Lots to see and do! Wow!
  • Cons:Really bad crowds, bad traffic, and be careful!
  • In a nutshell:Everyone needs to see and experience New York!!!!
  • Last visit to New York City: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 12, 2010

• MM212's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2010 at 8:07 AM

Great opening photo for NY. Thank you for your visit and your kind comments. I see you have many great pages on the US. I shall return to browse through them. Cheers!

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Very nice page with a lot of useful tips and information! I'm planning my five days I spend there. Ciao

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2009 at 7:04 AM

Nice page on what for me is a terribly urbanised place. This is what Warsaw is turning into nowadays. I am glad that you enjoyed it though. The cathedral looks lovely, pity about being searched on entering it.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2009 at 1:04 AM

Enjoyed your page Dee and found many things we did not see during our 7 day stay. Thanks for the Birthday Greetings, we had a great day.

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2009 at 5:22 AM

Great tips and pics! Very comprehensive. :-) Ann, The TravelSlut

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2009 at 5:44 PM

I have fallen in love with the city already in my childhood. It is really interesting to explore the city once again through the eyes of a friend. Thanks Dee!! Best. L.

• Andrew_W_K's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2009 at 1:49 PM

Great pics of New York - happy memories!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Oh, Dee, you did such a fine job on your New York City pages. Outstanding photographs. Love your details, observations, honesty, and helpful information.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2009 at 6:35 PM

always amazed that visitors to nyc have seen more than the locals. glad you enjoyed our delis. as for pocket parks with waterfalls, etc - they are scattered around the city, required by the city planners to offset the overbearing skyscrapers.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Thanks for putting the mass times at St Patrick's Cathedral...my family will go to mass probably on a Saturday, next month - June...so excited to visit NYC! Norman :)

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in New York City

Have you been to New York City?

Latest Activity in New York City