"Old Fort Niagara" Fort Niagara State Park by Yaqui
Fort Niagara State Park Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 10 photos
The French established the first post here in 1679 as Fort Conti, then as Fort Denoville 1687-88, which was very short lived. Finally in 1726 the French built the permanent fortification of the "French Castle". Britain gained control of the Fort Niagara in 1759 during the French and Indian Wars. They held the post throughout the American Revolution but were forced by treaty to yield it to the United States in 1796. Although, it was recaptured by the British in 1813. It was once again ceded to the U.S.A. in 1815 at the end of the war.
All of the main buildings are wonderfully maintained. There is even an authentic British Infantryman with his trusty "Brown Bess" that gives demonstrations and teaches the history of this wonderful treasure.
- Pros:A testament to mans endurance and faith.
- Cons:Cannot think of any.
- In a nutshell:A great way to spend a wonderful sunny day!
The earthwork walls of Fort Niagara were reinforced with concrete and brick between 1863 and 1872 due to tensions with... more travel advice
Dedicated to the ill-fated French soldiers of Fort Denonville, this bronze cross was erected by the Knights of Columbus... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Fort Niagara State Park Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Fort Niagara State Park
- 8 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Fort Niagara State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Niagara State Park
- Posted in Travel Palm Springs Forum ""
- Commented on one of Yaqui's Fort Niagara State Park travel pages
- updated a Fort Niagara State Park Travel Page "Old Fort Niagara"
- Wrote a Review Scarp Walls and Casemate Gallery 1872 in Fort Niagara State Park Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Scarp Walls and Casemate Gallery 1872"
Photos in Fort Niagara State ParkSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 278 reviews, 992 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 97 reviews, 418 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 100 reviews, 326 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 303 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 93 reviews, 207 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 55 reviews, 234 photos