"~Rhylolite~A town not lost!" Top 5 Page for this destination Rhyolite by Yaqui
Rhyolite Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 137 photos
Located within the Bullfrog and Montgomery Mountain range, Rhyolite like Bullfrog sprung up from the discovery of gold and quartz. The Montgomery Shoshone Mine was vast becoming the most promising. By 1905 there were numerous saloons, lodges, restaurants, bargers, gambling houses, and weekly newspaper. In 1906 Charles Schwab bought the mine from Alexander Montgomery. Mr. Schwab invested heavly by putting in piped water, electric lines, hydro plants, and bring in the railroad. By 1907 the population boomed to 4,000. Banks were being built to accomodate wealthy and homes to accomdate the ever growing families. Sadly, like most mining towns the mines were wearing out. By 1909 the town started to decline dramactically and by 1914 the electricity was turned off.
Not much remains other than the skeletons of building of a once booming town. Sometimes when I visit places like this I take a moment, to listen to the wind and try to imagine the souls that lived here. There were so many born here and so many who died here. Although many do not like the desert, if you stand at the top of the hill looking past the town, the beautiful mountain landscapes to me are breath taking. People do not realize how much life is still here and the sounds of those who lived here, were echoing in my ears. I discovered while researching my ancestery, I had a great great uncle who lived and mined here during its heyday. I even know the street and addressed he and his wife lived at. They moved back to Texas when the mine closed up.
- Pros:A great way to explore with your family~
- Cons:No services other than a restroom
- In a nutshell:Beautiful landscape surrounds you here~
Although you might think your out in the middle of nowhere, there are restrooms here. They were clean and have cleaning... more travel advice
Bullfrog was another mining town, but not as substanial as Rhyolite. Quartz and gold was discovered in the nearby hill... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Rhyolite Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "~Rhylolite~A town not lost!"
- "RHYOLITE BOOM AND BUST"
- "Money makes history!"
- "The fallen glory..."
- "Rhyolite: Ghost City in the Amargosa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rhyolite
- Restaurants in Rhyolite
- Warnings and Dangers in Rhyolite
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rhyolite
- 15 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (198)
Have you been to Rhyolite?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rhyolite
Photos in RhyoliteSee All Photos (67)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 290 reviews, 1093 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 95 reviews, 345 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 308 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos