"Reno" Top 5 Page for this destination Reno by Yaqui
Reno Travel Guide: 422 reviews and 1,048 photos
The 1920’s brought the Reno Arch and the highway and the 1930’s brought in legal gambling along with easy divorces. Like so many other cities Reno has experiences its ups and downs. Reno is know to be “The Biggest Little City in the World!”
The first settlers were the Martis who inhabited this area over 4,000 years ago. They were a nomadic people who survived according to the seasons. The Martis people moved in around 500 AD and who were able to prosper due to the abundance of rivers and creeks plentiful of Salmon and Steelhead. The Martis settled villages according to the seasons and the abundance of acorns and deer herds.
Yet, sadly as so many other Native American tribes their numbers dropped dramatically due to exposure of disease from white settlers as well in the killings due to prejudice. Now, the only thing left behind of Martis, are the beautiful petroglyphs.
Miners migrated in this area around the 1850’s due to gold, but the discovery of silver in 1859 the Comstock Lode settlers came in droves. Then in 1863 the Central Pacific Railroad (CPRR) tracks were laid from Sacramento, California and later making connection with the Union Pacific Railroad making migrating here much easier for new settlers.
- Pros:So much to see other than a casino!
- Cons:Some casino's have seen better days!
- In a nutshell:A nice little city!
Spectra was a show we saw when visiting Reno. It was not bad, but not great. Although, they have many other types of... more travel advice
This Amtrak train station in Reno, NV has an enclosed waiting area, without Wi-Fi, with parking, with accessible... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Reno Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Reno Nevada, I Love This Town!"
- "We Love This Place!"
- "A Gambler's Gambling Town"
- "Reno-The biggest little city in the world"
- "Reno: More Than Just a Smaller Vegas"
- "Reno - "The Biggest Little City in the World""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Reno
- Hotels in Reno
- Transportation in Reno
- Nightlife in Reno
- Restaurants in Reno
- Shopping in Reno
- Warnings and Dangers in Reno
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Reno
- 39 Reviews
- 184 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (208)
Have you been to Reno?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Reno
Photos in RenoSee All Photos (184)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 300 reviews, 1153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 99 reviews, 380 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 111 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 83 reviews, 321 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos