"Reno" Top 5 Page for this destination Reno by Yaqui
Reno Travel Guide: 350 reviews and 895 photos
The first settlers were the Martis who inhabited this area over 4,000 years ago. They were a nomadic people who survived according to the seasons. The Martis people moved in around 500 AD and who were able to prosper due to the abundance of rivers and creeks plentiful of Salmon and Steelhead. The Martis settled villages according to the seasons and the abundance of acorns and deer herds.
Yet, sadly as so many other Native American tribes their numbers dropped dramatically due to exposure of disease from white settlers as well in the killings due to prejudice. Now, the only thing left behind of Martis, are the beautiful petroglyphs.
Miners migrated in this area around the 1850’s due to gold, but the discovery of silver in 1859 the Comstock Lode settlers came in droves. Then in 1863 the Central Pacific Railroad (CPRR) tracks were laid from Sacramento, California and later making connection with the Union Pacific Railroad making migrating here much easier for new settlers.
The 1920’s brought the Reno Arch and the highway and the 1930’s brought in legal gambling along with easy divorces. Like so many other cities Reno has experiences its ups and downs. Reno is know to be “The Biggest Little City in the World!”
- In a nutshell:A nice little city!
A more modern version of the Reno Arch was erected on Virginia Street, the old arch was moved to Lake Street next to... more travel advice
Crossing the Sierra Nevada on I-80 they have rest areas on either side. This one is off of I-80 East side, which crosses... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Reno Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Reno Nevada, I Love This Town!"
- "We Love This Place!"
- "A Gambler's Gambling Town"
- "Reno-The biggest little city in the world"
- "The Eldorado"
- "Reno: More Than Just a Smaller Vegas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Reno
- Hotels in Reno
- Transportation in Reno
- Nightlife in Reno
- Restaurants in Reno
- Shopping in Reno
- Warnings and Dangers in Reno
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Reno
- 10 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to Reno?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Reno
Photos in RenoSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 287 reviews, 1078 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 93 reviews, 265 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 59 reviews, 254 photos