"Las Vegas - Always Updating!" Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas by Yaqui
Las Vegas Travel Guide: 8,480 reviews and 17,504 photos
Just wanted to say that this is a HUGE page and I do Not expect anyone to rate it all of it in one sitting or if you would like just rate whatever parts you want to or just browse. It is ever so growing. Las Vegas is a place that many hate or enjoy. I for one, enjoy it! There are many hidden treasures here.
Over 10,000 years ago, the Paleo Indians were nomads that hunt and gather as they passed through the Vegas valley. The Paiute Indians even made this area their home occasionally as well as the ancient ones, the Anasazi, who lived just north of Nevada along the riverbanks.
The valley lay in peace for many thousands of years until in 1829 a young scout Rafael Rivera found the valley to be abundant with grass and water, so a new trail was cut to the west. John Fremont was also scouting new trails and he too documented this area in 1844 while traveling the Mojave Road. Eventually, Nevada became the 36th state into the union in 1864, and in 1885, Nevada began offering parcels of land at $1.25 per acre making this a booming farming community. Then in 1900’s the railroads linked up and ran across the valley making Vegas an ideal rest stop for travelers.
Las Vegas became a city on May 15, 1905, but legalized gambling wasn’t official until March of 1931, although plenty of non legalized gambling was going on for many years. The construction of the Hoover Dam brought those seeking work during the depression, which Vegas began to benefit again from a population boom. During WWII, the valley became very popular with various defense contracts due to its ideal desolated locations, which brought many seeking work. After the war though, the Casino’s were still cashing in, with luring many with another kind of riches, “winning big time” at either cards, races, or the one-armed bandits. Who would knew that such a hot dry desolated area could lure so many. Let’s not forget the loads of sunshine probably didn’t hurt either. Or maybe, it was the top-notch accommodations, first-rate entertainment by many popular Hollywood celebrities such as the famed Rat Pack or Elvis Presley.
I am still amazed how much Vegas has evolved. It has gone from a dusty farming community to the Mega size hotel, casino, and entertainment industry it is today. Is there a stronger word for Mega…….lol! Been coming here over the years since the 80’s and each lapse of some several years….”Wall-la!”, a new mega hotel has popped up on the landscape or a old one found itself imploded and replaced by another. I remember the Aladdin and now it’s called Planet Hollywood. Yet, Vegas offers loads of entertainment with sight and sounds. Some shows are pricey, but well worth the money if your willing. Let’s not forget the FREE entertainment too. Just about every casino has something to offer in regards to free entertainment. If your passing thru, stop by and check it out. You never know, you will either like it or you won’t, but you have to at least try at least once. HappyTrails!
In 1882 Archibald Stewart moved his wife Helen and their three children to a 960 acre ranch that he bought from O.D. Gass that was once part of the Mormon Fort that had been established in 1855. Sadly two year later after establishing a profitable ranch. Archibald was shot and killed. His now widow wife, retrieved his body and made a coffin for him from the families doors. She stayed strong and remained at the ranch keeping the family together and ranch profitable. In 1893 the first post office was established naming it "Las Vegas". She later sold the ranch in 1902 to the railroad. She was known for her kindness to travelers, local Native Americans, and was very actived in her community till her death.
- Pros:There is tons to see and do!
- Cons:Fill up your tank first and bring enough cash, you'll need it, but beware of the taxi cabs, they drive too fast!!
- In a nutshell:I love visiting, so much to see and do.
My son has been trained to handle a gun and has been taken to shooting ranges, which I find them safer. So for his... more travel advice
The High Roller is not just an ordinary Ferris wheel, but a observation wheel. An observation wheel that is a staggering... more travel advice
- See All Lobby Bar
- See All Good Food and Service!
- See All Fry's Electronics
- See All Old LV Mormon State Historic Park~Ranch...
- See All Tow Away Zones
- See All Resort Shuttles
Yaqui's Related Pages
Las Vegas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Las Vegas - Always Updating!"
- "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas!"
- "A tourists view of Las Vegas"
- "Vegas - City with a sleeping disorder"
- "las vegas"
- "Viva Las Vegas"
- "Las Vegas: An Escape From Reality"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Las Vegas
- Hotels in Las Vegas
- Transportation in Las Vegas
- Nightlife in Las Vegas
- Restaurants in Las Vegas
- Shopping in Las Vegas
- Warnings and Dangers in Las Vegas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Las Vegas
- 290 Reviews
- 1,088 Photos
- 32 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (112)
Have you been to Las Vegas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Las Vegas
- Posted in Travel Los Angeles Forum "Re: Annual L.A. County Holiday..."
- Commented on one of Yaqui's Las Vegas tips
- Wrote a Review American Shooters about American Shooters in Las Vegas Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Symphony Park Sculptures"
- updated a Las Vegas Travel Page "Las Vegas - Always Updating!"
- Uploaded a Video to Las Vegas
Photos in Las VegasSee All Photos (1088)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 290 reviews, 1091 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 95 reviews, 345 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 308 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos