"~Boulder City ~ Have Dam Good Time:)" Top 5 Page for this destination Boulder City by Yaqui
Boulder City Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 464 photos
In 1928, Congress approved the construction of a dam along the Colorado River. A camp needed to be established to house the workers for this monumental task. So the government decided it would be prudent to build a city to accommodate the workers and their families. The Bureau of Reclamation hired an engineer, but after the stock markets crashed that put the plans on hold. Even though nothing formally was established as far as town, squatter camps populated the area as the work force progressed.
Life was harsh here; these camps stand as a testament to the true grit of the American family. These pioneers had to provide for their families no matter what they had to endure. These men, women and children endured scorching heat during the summer months with many falling ill or died from heat exhaustion, disease, suffocating blowing sand, inadequate food supplies or shelters. Those who fell very ill had to travel 30 miles away for any type of medical care and if they fell too ill they were happily replaced by others.
Yet, by 1931 conditions started to finally improve with a train station that helped bring in much needed supplies. Later during the summer months the main camp started to look like an official city, Boulder City. Roads were being paved to Las Vegas and within the city itself. In just over a year, Boulder City rose from the dust into a fully functioning construction town of 5,000.
After the dam was completed in 1935, many of the companies began tearing down some of the dingbat houses since they were haphazardly constructed, but some of the better build ones were being sold to those who were going to make this their permanent homes. This area remained under government control until the 1950’s, but it wasn’t till the 1960’s that the city was official incorporated and completely on its own.
We took advantage of Thanksgiving vacation and decided it was time to visit this wonderful historical monument again and although, it was crowded, we really enjoyed seeing it and getting to enjoy all the new facilities they have added since the 1980's and that amazing bridge! Excellent experience!.
- Pros:Lots to see here, so take your time.
- Cons:Traffic was bad and it is high, so NO leaning over the side please!
- In a nutshell:More than just rocks and water:)
Something that caught my eye while exploring the Mike O'Callaghan – Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge was this structure in... more travel advice
Restroom location is essential especially if you have children. There are two located right on the dam. Its funny the... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Boulder City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "~Boulder City ~ Have Dam Good Time:)"
- "Hoover Dam"
- "See Hoover Dam!"
- "Rolling through Boulder"
- "Boulder City - Hoover Dam"
- "A VT Honeymoon! Berni and Carl at Hoover DAM!"
- "Mars on Earth"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Boulder City
- Hotels in Boulder City
- Transportation in Boulder City
- Nightlife in Boulder City
- Restaurants in Boulder City
- Warnings and Dangers in Boulder City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Boulder City
- 27 Reviews
- 112 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to Boulder City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Boulder City
- Posted in Travel Los Angeles Forum "Re: free Los Angeles photo..."
- Wrote a Review Elks Memorial to President Hoover of the past~ in Boulder City Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Elks Memorial to President Hoover of the past~"
- updated a Boulder City Travel Page "~Boulder City ~ Have Dam Good Time:)"
- Uploaded a Video to Boulder City
Photos in Boulder CitySee All Photos (112)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 287 reviews, 1078 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 93 reviews, 265 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 59 reviews, 254 photos