"Tucumcari~Route 66" Tucumcari by Yaqui
Tucumcari Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 40 photos
According to Herman Moncus, a local historian, another possible meaning for the word comes from the Jemez Indians who lived in the Rio Grande Valley, but hunted in Eastern New Mexico before 1800. Moncus believes that Tucumcari can be translated from the Jemez language to "place of the buffalo hunt." Moncus' research determined that the Jemez Indians probably learned the name from other tribes and he believed that it could be a name surviving from the pre-Indian or paloe-Indian periods.
Robert Julyan, The Place Names of New Mexico, Revised Edition. Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press, 1998. Gil Hinshaw, Tucumcari: Gateway to the West (A History of Quay County).
In 1907 a Methodist minister created a story about how the name evolved. The two finest warriors of an Apache tribe that made their home at the mountain met in combat to determine who would succeed their dying Chief Wautonomah. The survivor would also win the hand of the chief's daughter, Kari. Tocom, the brave loved by Kari, was slain by Tonopah in the battle. Overcome with grief and rage, Kari seized her knife, killed Tonopah and took her own life. Heartbroken at this tragic turn of events, the old chief stabbed himself, crying out as he died, "Tocom-Kari, Tocom-Kari." This story is what became known as "The Legend of Tucumcari."
We decided not to stay here because of the price. Best Western was much cheaper, plus they didn't have sufficent parking... more travel advice
Located at the intersection of 3rd and Main Street is a wonderful park dedicated to all Veterans. Tucumcari/Quay County... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Tucumcari Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tucumcari~Route 66"
- "Tucumcari - our stop from Texas to the west."
- "Town in the Remote Outback"
- "Tucumcari, New Mexico"
- "Tucumcari Tonite Home of 2000 motel rooms"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tucumcari
- Hotels in Tucumcari
- Restaurants in Tucumcari
- Shopping in Tucumcari
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tucumcari
- 7 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Tucumcari?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tucumcari
Photos in TucumcariSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 287 reviews, 1078 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 105 reviews, 346 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 59 reviews, 254 photos