"Statue of Liberty State Park" Statue of Liberty National Monument by Yaqui

Sculptor Frederic Auguste Bartholdi was commissioned to design a sculpture in 1876 to commemorate the centennial of the American Declaration of Independence. The Statue was a joint effort between America and France and it was agreed upon that the American people were to build the pedestal, and the French people were responsible for the Statue and its assembly here in the United States. However, lack of funds was a problem on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean. In France, public fees, various forms of entertainment, and a lottery were among the methods used to raise funds. In the United States, benefit theatrical events, art exhibitions, auctions and prize fights assisted in providing needed funds.

Financing for the pedestal was completed in August 1885, and pedestal construction was finished in April of 1886. The Statue was completed in France in July, 1884 and arrived in New York Harbor in June of 1885 on board the French frigate "Isere" which transported the Statue of Liberty from France to the United States. In transit, the Statue was reduced to 350 individual pieces and packed in 214 crates. The Statue was re-assembled on her new pedestal in four months time. On October 28th 1886, the dedication of the Statue of Liberty took place in front of thousands of spectators. She was a centennial gift ten years late.

• Pros:Patience is a virtue here.
  • Cons:Dress accordingly to weather conditions.
  • In a nutshell:From our ancestors eyes to yours!
  • Intro Updated Jan 18, 2009

• wabat's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2013 at 6:13 AM

Dee your page brought back memories of my own first sighting the the Statue. Thank You.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2013 at 4:30 AM

I have yet to see the Statue of Liberty - iconic symbol of America - Will have to get there some day.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
      Jan 22, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Thank you Lori for visiting my Statue of Liberty National Monument and Ellis Island travel pages. I wish I had taken more photo's. My digital was not working so well then. It is a fabulous sight to see.

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Enjoyed my little look at this Symbol of Freedom..this is one of the sights and places that would instill marvel in my eyes too..someday maybe Ill get to see it in person!BTW..I'm happy that you enjoyed your visit to Quebec pages..Its a CHARM to see!!

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2010 at 12:20 PM

my tour of new york harbor is now complete. believe it or not, i worked in jersey city back in 1960 just a few hundred yards across the water from the statue, never went. great information, especially the broken chain at the feet.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2009 at 5:39 AM

Another informative page on one of America's greatest icons. We took the half circle cruise which stopped a few hundred metres away for us to take photos.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2009 at 9:33 AM

It's a shame about all the security. I went right up the steps to the crown and loved it. Thinking of taking D there in December. Thanks for the very useful tips, Dee.

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Good stuff here Dee - you are a proud American.

• Andrew_W_K's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2009 at 1:30 AM

You learn something new every day. Never knew Ellis Island & SOL were part of Jersey! How about that?

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Unfortunately, I have never visited these places; neither Ellis Island nor Statue of Liberty, but today I have done with you. Laszlo

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Reminded me of climbing the stairs under the skirt and viewing through the crown. When I saw the X-Men movie.....

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in Statue of Liberty National Monument

Have you been to Statue of Liberty National Monument?

Photos in Statue of Liberty National Monument