"Statue of Liberty State Park" Statue of Liberty National Monument by Yaqui
Statue of Liberty National Monument Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 108 photos
Sculptor Frederic Auguste Bartholdi was commissioned to design a sculpture in 1876 to commemorate the centennial of the American Declaration of Independence. The Statue was a joint effort between America and France and it was agreed upon that the American people were to build the pedestal, and the French people were responsible for the Statue and its assembly here in the United States. However, lack of funds was a problem on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean. In France, public fees, various forms of entertainment, and a lottery were among the methods used to raise funds. In the United States, benefit theatrical events, art exhibitions, auctions and prize fights assisted in providing needed funds.
Financing for the pedestal was completed in August 1885, and pedestal construction was finished in April of 1886. The Statue was completed in France in July, 1884 and arrived in New York Harbor in June of 1885 on board the French frigate "Isere" which transported the Statue of Liberty from France to the United States. In transit, the Statue was reduced to 350 individual pieces and packed in 214 crates. The Statue was re-assembled on her new pedestal in four months time. On October 28th 1886, the dedication of the Statue of Liberty took place in front of thousands of spectators. She was a centennial gift ten years late.
- Pros:Patience is a virtue here.
- Cons:Dress accordingly to weather conditions.
- In a nutshell:From our ancestors eyes to yours!
The Statue of Liberty was inaugurated on October 28th, 1886 by then President Grover Cleveland who accepted her on... more travel advice
Height from top of base to torch 151'1"/46.05m Ground to tip of torch 305'1"/92.99m Heel to top of head... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Statue of Liberty National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Statue of Liberty State Park"
- ""Liberty Enlightening the World""
- "The Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island"
- "Lady Liberty"
- "Statue of Liberty"
- "Symbol for Sailors"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Statue of Liberty National Monument
- Transportation in Statue of Liberty National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Statue of Liberty National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Statue of Liberty National Monument
- 10 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (212)
Have you been to Statue of Liberty National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Statue of Liberty National Monument
- Posted in Travel Las Vegas Forum "Re: Which Hotel?"
- Commented on one of Yaqui's Statue of Liberty National Monument tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Statue Of Liberty"
- Wrote a Review Anniversary of the Statue of Liberty in Statue of Liberty National Monument Favorites
- updated a Statue of Liberty National Monument Travel Page "Statue of Liberty State Park"
Photos in Statue of Liberty National MonumentSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 300 reviews, 1153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 99 reviews, 380 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 111 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 83 reviews, 321 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos