"Pompeys Pillar National Monument" Pompeys Pillar by Yaqui
Pompeys Pillar Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 23 photos
When we visited, my sister was happy that they had just finished building the platforms and walkways so you can see the famous signature, views and all the other wonderful historical signatures that pioneers left behind. My sis said before you had to climb over the rocks before to see all the neat signatures and risk coming upon snakes. No fun, so our arrival was timed just right. Sadly they had no visitor center back then, but I can see on the web they have built a really lovely one. So enjoy!
William Clark had nicked named Sacajawea son Jean Baptiste "Pomp", a Shoshoni word for Chief. It was on this returning trip Lewis and Clark split up, with Clark taking the Yellowstone River. They encountered the most impressive sandstone butte beside the river on July 25, 1806.
Clark wrote in his journal,
"This rock which I shall call "Pompy's Tower" is 200 feet and 400 paces in secumpherance.....the nativs have ingraved on the face...the figures of animals and near which I marked my name and the day of the month & year."
For many years thereof, "Pompeys Pillar" became the landmark for people traveling westward that left their signatures too for their loved ones to know they had survived the trip and to note the trail they were on.
- Pros:Not just a rock, one with our ancestery carved into.
- Cons:Not sure, use to be kind of isolated.
- In a nutshell:A beautiful place with wonderful vistas!
Although all the signatures are really awesome to see, but what is really wonderful about all the walkways and platforms... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Pompeys Pillar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pompey's Pillar"
- "Pompeys Pillar National Monument"
- "POMPEYS PILLAR NATIONAL HISTORIC LANDMARK, MONTANA"
- "Basaic Pompeys Pillar Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pompeys Pillar
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Pompeys Pillar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pompeys Pillar
- Posted in Travel Randsburg Forum "Re: park"
- Commented on one of Dymphna1's Pompeys Pillar travel pages
- Wrote a Review Pompeys Pillar Platform Views in Pompeys Pillar Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Pompeys Pillar Platform Views"
- updated a Pompeys Pillar Travel Page "Pompeys Pillar National Monument"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 256 reviews, 894 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 97 reviews, 418 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 100 reviews, 326 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 90 reviews, 305 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 81 reviews, 300 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 93 reviews, 207 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 53 reviews, 224 photos