"Pompeys Pillar National Monument" Pompeys Pillar by Yaqui

Pompeys Pillar Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 29 photos

When we visited, my sister was happy that they had just finished building the platforms and walkways so you can see the famous signature, views and all the other wonderful historical signatures that pioneers left behind. My sis said before you had to climb over the rocks before to see all the neat signatures and risk coming upon snakes. No fun, so our arrival was timed just right. Sadly they had no visitor center back then, but I can see on the web they have built a really lovely one. So enjoy!

William Clark had nicked named Sacajawea son Jean Baptiste "Pomp", a Shoshoni word for Chief. It was on this returning trip Lewis and Clark split up, with Clark taking the Yellowstone River. They encountered the most impressive sandstone butte beside the river on July 25, 1806.

Clark wrote in his journal,

"This rock which I shall call "Pompy's Tower" is 200 feet and 400 paces in secumpherance.....the nativs have ingraved on the face...the figures of animals and near which I marked my name and the day of the month & year."

For many years thereof, "Pompeys Pillar" became the landmark for people traveling westward that left their signatures too for their loved ones to know they had survived the trip and to note the trail they were on.

• Pros:Not just a rock, one with our ancestery carved into.
  • Cons:Not sure, use to be kind of isolated.
  • In a nutshell:A beautiful place with wonderful vistas!
  • Intro Updated Jul 26, 2009

• Segolily's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2011 at 6:13 PM

I so wanted to see this when we were up there, but we had engine trouble and ran out of time. One day!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2009 at 4:51 PM

I hope that historical signature remains preserved for future generations...amazing they though of encasing it...Norman :)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2009 at 5:39 AM

What an amazing place and what foresight. Anything with such important history is worthy of a visit, and your descriptions help that history come alive.

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Very interesting page!!!A little American jewel!

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Being one of the few remaining pieces of physical evidence of Lewis and Clark's journey, William Clark's signature is likely the most historically significant graffiti in the US. Good to see that glass protects it from vandalism.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Like that picture with the view over the valley!

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in Pompeys Pillar

Have you been to Pompeys Pillar?

Latest Activity in Pompeys Pillar