"Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument" Top 5 Page for this destination Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument by Yaqui

Taken with a panoramic camera:)

Little Bighorn was fought on June 25-26, 1876 lead by Lt Col. George Armstrong Custer. Under his command were 262 soldiers, which included his brother, brother-in-law, and nephew of the 7th Cavalry, guided by Crow and Arikara scouts (they survived), met their terrible death by an overwhelming force of over 1,500 Lakota Sioux, Cheyenne and Arapaho warriors. It was either arrogance, not enough intel, maybe both that he could actually defeat such an overwhelming force. It was also later discovered that no only being out numbered, they were out gunned by better weaponry. Sites within the park include the Reno-Benteen Battlefield, Custer Hill, Battle Ridge, and the Custer National Cemetery. It was known as the Custer Battlefield National Monument until 1991. It is a sad reminder of how much both sides lost.

• Pros:Services are availabe and so much more is here too than you think!
  • Cons:A very sombering place where boths sides lost so much.
  • In a nutshell:A place to reflect on our differences and heritage.
  • Intro Updated Apr 16, 2012

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2012 at 8:17 AM

In all my cross country journeys, with stops at all kinds of historic sites, especially sites related to military history, I don't know how I avoided visiting Little Bighorn. Nice page!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
      Oct 14, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Thank you for stopping by. There is much more too it compared to when I was there. I know you would enjoy visiting it.

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Great page and history! :-)

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
      Sep 21, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Thank you so much for visiting my Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument page!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Beautiful photos and lots of great information for visitors to Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument! My wife and I enjoyed our time there, taking in this historic site on a beautiful summer day. It was nice to see that a memorial has recently been added to reflect the beliefs of the tribes defending their little piece of North America.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2012 at 1:18 PM

This is no doubt a very moving and sobering place to visit. I’m glad that some Indian Memorials have also been added to this site.

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2011 at 12:42 PM

The pages that you've written about significant USA locations always have GREAT information and this page is no exception...the Battle of Little Bighorn will always conjure up images that we've all imagined or see for much of our lives I think..Looks like you had a blue sky day to explore here Dee...thanks for sharing your time here!

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2009 at 2:55 PM

It is a story of people who fought for their land and their home. . . . . It is interesting to see this place through your eyes and words Dee; if I come to Montana I certainly will visit this place.

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2009 at 6:36 AM

Excellent tips. I missed this when I was in Montana. I hope I get back there one day.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2009 at 4:28 PM

With American Indian ancestry, I am especially interested in this historic place. So glad that you've "done your homework" and included both sides to the history. Just marvelous.

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2009 at 6:02 AM

As usual, great tips and pics! Thanks. Ann, The TravelSlut :-)

• Andrew_W_K's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Great tips on Bighorn. About 10 years ago my father in law went there - from NYC to Bighorn by Greyhound bus. He said it was worth it but he'd never go that far by bus again.

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument

Have you been to Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument?

Photos in Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument