"~Old Biloxi~" Top 5 Page for this destination Biloxi by Yaqui
Biloxi Travel Guide: 257 reviews and 714 photos
Biloxi means "First People" and was the name of a local Native American tribe that met French explorer Pierre LeMoyne d'Iberville in 1699. He and his men were passing through here because he was looking for the mouth of the Mississippi River. The King of France wanted to claimed this area. Fort Maurepas was established on the east shore now called Ocean Springs. Eight flags have flown over the city including the French, English, Spanish, West Florida Republic, Mississippi Magnolia, Confederate State, Mississippi State, and that of the United States.
Biloxi was incorporated officially in 1838 and the city grew as families and their servants flocked to the area. By 1847 it became on of Gulf Coast's favorite resort towns. During the Civil War, Union troops took over nearby Ship Island and carried out a blockade of the gulf. Citizens tried to protected the city from invasion by the Yankees creating fake cannons made out of logs planted in the sand. Mullet fish, called "Biloxi bacon," saved the locals from starvation during the war years. The first fish cannery opened in 1881, and the city's seafood industry grew. By 1900 Biloxi was termed the "seafood capital of the world.
Biloxi has endured so many natural disasters and the last one was Hurricane Katrina that hit in 2005. It is still in the recovery process. So many structures were lost, but we cannot forget the most precious loss of life.
- In a nutshell:A city of life you cannot keep down~
Although, there is still lots of construction with rebuilding many of the piers and marina's. The beautiful white sandy... more travel advice
Here is something fellow VTer's can look forward too! They are working on building a beautiful new addition to Beauvoir!... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Biloxi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BILOXI ----A SOUTHERN BELLE"
- "~Old Biloxi~"
- "biloxi mississippi"
- "Biloxi we Love you and we feel so bad for you ."
- "Biloxi -- Weathering the storm"
- "The Poor Man's Riviera"
- "In the wake of Katrina"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Biloxi
- Hotels in Biloxi
- Transportation in Biloxi
- Nightlife in Biloxi
- Restaurants in Biloxi
- Shopping in Biloxi
- Warnings and Dangers in Biloxi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Biloxi
- 29 Reviews
- 97 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (200)
Have you been to Biloxi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Biloxi
Photos in BiloxiSee All Photos (97)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 290 reviews, 1093 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 95 reviews, 345 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 308 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 97 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos