"Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine" Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine by Yaqui

Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine, historic fort site in Baltimore, Maryland. It was established as a War Department National Park in 1925 and transferred to the National Park Service in 1933. The fort was redesignated as a national monument and historic shrine in 1939. The monument, located on the Patapsco River at the entrance to the upper harbor of Baltimore, preserves Fort McHenry. The fort, which has been restored, was erected between 1798 and 1803 and was named for James McHenry, a hero of the American Revolution (1775-1783) and a United States Secretary of War (1794-1800). On September 13-14, 1814, during the War of 1812, the fort successfully withstood a 25-hour bombardment by the British fleet under Vice-Admiral Alexander Cochrane. The experience of this bombardment, and the sight of the American flag waving over the fort after the firing had ceased, inspired the American lawyer and poet Francis Scott Key to write the poem “The Star-Spangled Banner.” Set to music attributed to John Stafford Smith, the poem became the national anthem of the United States in 1931. Area, 17 hectares (43 acres)MSN encarta.

War of 1812

This page is dedicated to a suprevisor Dan Burgoyne who I respected. He always reminded me of the Anniversary of 1812, June 18. He often said it was a bad day in his families histories even though he was a American by many generations. I often laughed at this, but then again I knew he was proud of his families history wheather it was good or bad. So here is a link to his families history.

Burgoyne

War of 1812

• Pros:It's a wonderful peace of our history
  • Cons:Cannot think of any.
  • In a nutshell:A momument that reminds us of history!
  • Intro Updated Aug 2, 2009

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Sounds like a place Americans should pay a visit. I like the sound of your Hotel and always enjoy a ride on ferry to see the sights from the water!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2013 at 11:42 AM

We are thinking of a trip to DC if politics hold up by then. This would be one site we would want to view-forts are neat

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
      Jun 18, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Hi Bruce, as you know I love the history. I am so happy I was able to visit here. The views this fort has is fantastic and you all would enjoy using the water taxi's here. Thanks so much for stopping by.

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2009 at 6:07 AM

I have lived in or near Baltimore most of my life, and believe it or not have only been to Ft. McHenry once! Great page.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Good page, Dee! Inner Harbor is a great place to visit. I've been working on my own Baltimore Inner Harbor page for almost 2 months now & not finished yet. Have a great weekend! Sylvia

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2009 at 6:47 AM

Fort McHenry indeed looks like an interesting place to visit. I've always loved history myself so would really enjoy touring Baltimore harbour as well. Great tip on the water taxi!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2009 at 3:56 AM

excellent tips mate. and i just learned a couple of things about US history that i did not know.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2009 at 5:42 AM

Another great page chocked full of historic significance and your wonderful enthusiastic signature style.

• ncfg's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Very nice place!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2009 at 5:03 PM

The Baltimore Water Taxis sound like fun and would definitely ride them if ever I visit...Norman :)

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Thanks for taking me to this historical place!

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine

Have you been to Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine?

Photos in Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine