"~ Baltimore ~" Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore by Yaqui
Baltimore Travel Guide: 1,232 reviews and 3,482 photos
Before European settlement, the site of Baltimore was inhabited by a Native American people known as the Susquehannock. The area was explored by English soldier John Smith in 1608 and was settled in 1661. In 1729 the town was founded and named for the barons Baltimore, the British founders of the Maryland Colony. Established as a tobacco port, the town rapidly developed into a flour-milling and shipbuilding center, with a flourishing trade with Europe and the Caribbean.
In 1777, while Philadelphia was occupied by the British during the American Revolution, the Continental Congress met in Baltimore. It was incorporated as a city in 1797. During the War of 1812 the British made an attempt to eliminate privateers operating out of Baltimore. The ensuing battle in 1814, centered around Fort McHenry, inspired American lawyer and poet Francis Scott Key to write ?The Star-Spangled Banner.?
A second phase of growth began in 1828, when America?s first railroad, the Baltimore and Ohio, was built to compete for the western trade created by New York?s Erie Canal. At the start of the American Civil War (1861-1865), though Maryland did not secede from the Union, the city?s Southern sympathies provoked riots and led to its occupation by Union troops.(encarta®)
Vistors Area Guide
Visit Beautiful Baltimore
Originally at the entrance to Baltimore harbor, but moved and restored. It is one of the few screw-pile lighthouses left. Located on Pier 5 at the Baltimore Inner Harbor.
This is part of the Baltimore Maritime Museum. You purchase a ticket and it will give you access to other historical ships in the Inner Harbor. See Travel Tip.
What a beautiful city. They are in the process of rebuilding much of the old town homes and wonderful historical buildings. The architecture is just stunning, which I enjoyed very much. At the Harbor is a very happening place. I can't tell you how I enjoyed my time there. All the history and wonderful buildings full of charm. The people were pretty nice too.
- Pros:Some wonderful friendly people too!;-) Beautiful. Lots to see and do;-)
- Cons:Crime is high here, so be careful at night.
- In a nutshell:Everyone should visit at least once, maybe twice;-)
After you take a tour of this wonderful place. If you have enough time, you should watch a game. What I found so neat is... more travel advice
This whole area is geared to attract and entertain day or night. Lots of security roaming around to keep you safe. They... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Baltimore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Charm City"
- "Native Baltimoron"
- "The Land of Pleasant Living and...."
- "Baltimore "The Monumental City""
- "~ Baltimore ~"
- "THE VT INVASION OF BALTIMORE - YIKES!"
- "The Great BaltOberfest"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Baltimore
- Hotels in Baltimore
- Transportation in Baltimore
- Nightlife in Baltimore
- Restaurants in Baltimore
- Shopping in Baltimore
- Warnings and Dangers in Baltimore
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Baltimore
- 36 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 44 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (219)
Have you been to Baltimore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baltimore
Photos in BaltimoreSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 300 reviews, 1153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 99 reviews, 380 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 111 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 83 reviews, 321 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos