"Atlanta & Coca Cola" Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta by Yaqui
Atlanta Travel Guide: 1,485 reviews and 2,680 photos
Atlanta’s first residences were the Archaic Indians who lived in this area as far back as 6000BC and were known as the Moundbuilders. These Moundbuilders may have been ancestors of the Creek Indians who established a village called, Standing Peachtree. The settlers started moving in so a Fort Peacetree was established. The Creek ceded the land in 1821 and the counties of Henry and Fayette were created. Trails created by the Native Americans started being utilized as main routes for settlers and commerce alike. In 1835 an Inn, store and postoffice was established by Charner Humphey. In 1837 a railroad line was approved, but where to put it became an issue due to right a way from local land owners, but by 1842 the issues was resolved to quick thinking and money, in 1842, the locomotive Florida made the first run to Marietta.
The town started to develop and buildings cropped up around the new depot. Yet, town was experiencing hard times since everything revolved around the railroad, but when 1844 when Jonathan Norcross arrived, he brought in new business, a sawmill and lumber yard.
For a short time Atlanta was named after former governor Wilson Lumpkin’s daughter Martha Atalanta Lumpkin “Marthasville.” But, in 1845 John E. Thomson, Chief Engineer of Georgia Railroad proposed Atlanta. Not soon after a doctor was established, newspaper and school. In 1847 the city was incorporated.
In 1865, the Civil War ravaged the south. Atlanta citizens were ordered to leave their homes because it was declared a military zone. The city was burned to the ground, leaving only shells of once grand southern homes and plantations. People returned finding not much that was left, and not soon after their return finding the war was lost in 1865. Yet, this didn’t detour them, they rebuilt their beloved homes and city, thus in 1868 Atlanta had become the capital of the state. Atlanta has risen from the ashes.
- Pros:So much to see here!
- Cons:Certian areas are still questionable! So be safe!
On the 21st day of July 1909, by and between John P. Pettyjohn & Company of Lynchburg, Virginia and The Southern Railway... more travel advice
A very unsual scultpure by Robert Llimos. Located not far from Underground Atlanta more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Atlanta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Monuments"
- "Big city livin in the South"
- "Atlanta & Coca Cola"
- "atlanta georgia"
- "Atlanta - full of surprises"
- "Capital of the South"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Atlanta
- Hotels in Atlanta
- Transportation in Atlanta
- Nightlife in Atlanta
- Restaurants in Atlanta
- Shopping in Atlanta
- Warnings and Dangers in Atlanta
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Atlanta
- 29 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Atlanta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Atlanta
Photos in AtlantaSee All Photos (89)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 278 reviews, 992 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 101 reviews, 331 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 93 reviews, 248 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 58 reviews, 249 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (120)
Latest Atlanta hotel reviews
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Atlanta/Buckhead
- 140 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Westin Peachtree Plaza
- 1073 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Sleep Inn Buckhead
- 133 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 20, 2013
- Holiday Inn Tucker/La Vista Rd
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Suite Hotel Underground Atlanta
- 222 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Wingate Inn Clairmont Road
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2013
- Country Inn And Suites Atlanta Airport South
- 161 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Red Roof Inn Atlanta Downtown
- 104 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Atlanta - Perimeter/Ashford Dunwoody
- 125 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Staybridge Suites Atlanta Perimeter Center - Mt Vernon
- 94 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Red Roof Inn Atlanta Airport North
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- The Highland Inn
- 216 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Atlanta Marriott Century Center
- 171 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Days Inn Chamblee Tucker
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 1, 2013
- Holiday Inn Atlanta Northeast Doraville
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013