"Trona - a little town that still boast life:-)" Trona by Yaqui
Trona Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 55 photos
California’s Abandoned Mines - Stay Out - Stay Alive!
While traveling to Death Valley, we stopped on the way back because something caught my eye. The wonderful mural of the beast of burden. A Twenty Mule Team Mural graces one side of the Guest House Musuem. So, we stopped and then started to explore a little. We did eventually come back to see the Pinnacles during the winter months since it was much cooler. Although, the rest of the view of the town is not at its best, people need to be reminded this is still part of the desert with Death Valley just on the other side of the mounatin range. It takes some hardy souls to make a life here, but it just goes to show you how really strong some individuals are and how deep their roots go and grow from being part of tiny communities that dot all along the US.
Trona is located along Hwy 178 and is home of the Searles Valley Minerals Facility. Searles Valley is located in the Greater Mojave Desert and a historical rich in minerals even today. This community faces the great valley of the Slate and Argus Mountains. It looks very desolated and vast. This is home to Searles Lake, which formed during the Ice Ages containing 98 of the 104 natural chemical elements. That is impressive. Collectors still do come from all over to gather and see some of the great minerals found in Searles Lake, such as Hanksite, Halite, Pink Halite. They even have festival during the sponsored by the Searles Lake Gem and Mineral Society, which only happens one time per year.
It is also home to Trona Pinnacles National Natural Landmark, which consists of more then 500 tufa spires. This site has been in many movies and commercials because of its prehistoric mystical appeal. Star Trek 5, Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes, and Disney's Dinosaur. It is a fascinating site to see and explore. If you enjoy hiking and the outdoors, you'll like this place.
Yet, it is a town that has life still that consists of people going every day to work at the plant who are American families making a life for themselves and a town that still boast homes, churches, little markets, and schools. I do know individuals who have lived here and perfectly understand what their community is experiencing. They respect for what it is and will "Persevere and keep Faith!" and are willing to keep their family community alive.
- Pros:It has some wonderful historical sites to visit.
- Cons:It's can be cold and HOT!
- In a nutshell:Don't dismay. There is life here:-)
Sadly we didn't get to try this place out. It was Sunday and they were closed. The last time we passed through here they... more travel advice
They have acquired another wonderful historical asset and have extensively remodeled a building that houses some... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Trona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Trona - a little town that still boast life:-)"
- "Trona Pinnacles!"
- "diana_daniel's new Trona Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trona
- Transportation in Trona
- Restaurants in Trona
- Warnings and Dangers in Trona
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cyprus Hotels
- Saint Louis
- Isla Holbox
- Playa del Carmen
- Province of Ontario
- Ngadisari Hotels
- San Lucas Sacatepéquez Hotels
- Hot Springs Hotels
- Burks Falls Hotels
- Rüdesheim am Rhein
- Lake Corpus Christi State Park Hotels
Badges & Stats in Trona
- 15 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Trona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trona
- Posted in Travel Las Vegas Forum "Re: Help in regards to a rental..."
- Wrote a Review Italian found out in the desert~ in Trona Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Italian found out in the desert~"
- updated a Trona Travel Page "Trona - a little town that still boast life:-)"
- Commented on one of Yaqui's Trona travel pages
Photos in TronaSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 278 reviews, 992 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 101 reviews, 331 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 93 reviews, 248 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 58 reviews, 249 photos