"Temecula~Old Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Temecula by Yaqui

Temecula Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 210 photos

I have passed by this wonderful gem of a city. I finally took the opportunity to stop and explore old town Temecula. It was suggested by a wonderful fellow VTer travelgourmetthat I take the time to explore and I am so glad I did.

The Legend~A thousand years ago, as the mist rolled over the hills Nahachish, an Indian leader spoke word the words "Temecula" as the rays of the sun broke through the mist. From that day, the valley has been know as Temecula, sunlight through the mist.

A New Era~The first Butterfield arrived in Temecula 1858, the Post Office was established on April 22, 1859, and later, the Railway signified a new era in Temecula. Just after the turn of the century, Walter Vail began his cattle ranch the eventually covered 87,500 acres that covered in and around Temecula. The Temecula of today began in 1964 when Kaiser Industries purchased the ranch and started the Rancho California master plan. The City of Temecula was incorporated on December 1, 1989.

• In a nutshell:A wonderful city with lots of charm!
  • Last visit to Temecula: Dec 2009
  • Intro Updated May 14, 2010

• valerie7277's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2010 at 7:33 AM

Great tips! I'm looking forward to an upcoming visit :)

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Dee, What a fascinating page of local history. My kind of place exactly Thanks for showing me round! Can't believe I was driven past it so many time - well I can, but that's another story!

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2010 at 11:40 AM

When we lived in SoCal, we of course went thru here frequently, usually to visit a couple of our fav wineries.....you've got lots of good bits of local info!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2010 at 2:17 AM

I love that Old Town Temecula Mural with the old steamtrain !

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2010 at 5:17 AM

I was surprised to see the mural of the California Southern Railroad, since I thought the Southern Pacific had a monopoly in those days. Amazing that the same woman was the only local telephone operator for 43 years!

• micas_pt's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Such great information; I've never heard about this place before, and I always find out something new and somewhere new while reading your pages, thanks!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Quite agree with you, Dee - Temecula is really a wonderful city with lots of charm. Loved the legend about Temecula, as sunlight through the mist.

• MD2nd's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2010 at 7:59 AM

I like the Old Town Community Theater which earlier was a "shop center" for ranchers - say a terminal to deliver supplies to isolated ranches.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Hi Dee, I feel honored to be mentioned on your overview page. Thank you for the props. The Art Shack of olden days tip is now Bailey's Restaurant, if I am not mistaken. My uncle used to spar with Jim Jefferies in Burbank at his red barn.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Looks like a great little town. Too bad visitors can't get drinks at the "Blind Pig" these days! ~Joe

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in Temecula

Have you been to Temecula?

Latest Activity in Temecula