Tehachapi Transportation Tips by Yaqui Top 5 Page for this destination
Tehachapi Transportation: 2 reviews and 3 photos
Bus Stop, next to Burger King & Kmart
Well I could not help myself with the title of the tip, please forgive me:-). Living up in the mountains, you have to really rely on your cars. Yet, Tehachapi is not so rural after all. Amtrak has a motor coach service that stops in Tehachapi coming to and from going to different rail stations. Bakersfield Amtrak Station is the closest to Tehachapi if your going north and to the east, but if your going south you have to use their "Thruway Services" via their motor coaches to get to the main stations that will take you more south. Check out the Amtrak insites maps of the routes. Thru Way Route and Rails Route Map Look at the map link on this page!
I have lots of friends who go north or back east. They get picked up at the covered bus stop near K-Mart & Burger King on Tehachapi Blvd. It is very cost effective now days.
Phone: 800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245)
This is how we travel to and from town still. Hey, where's my horses? Sorry, couldn't resist...haha!
These heavy freight-carrying vehicle of distinctive type that originated in the Conestoga region of Pennsylvania c.1725. It was used by farmers to carry heavy loads long distances before there were railroads to convey produce to markets. Later it was used to carry manufactured goods across the Alleghenies to frontier stores and settlements and to bring back the frontier produce. The transportation of goods by wagon train developed into a major business employing thousands of wagons before the railroads crossed the mountains c.1850. The larger Conestoga wagons, usually drawn by six horses, carried loads up to eight tons. The bottom of the wagon box was curved, rising at both ends, so that in going up and down hills the goods would shift less easily and the tailgate would be subjected to less strain. The same curve was carried out in the white hood, at first made of hempen homespun and later of canvas, which rose up and out at each end, covering the front and rear openings with a poke bonnet effect to keep out sun, rain, and dust. The wagons were striking and graceful vehicles as they moved over the hills and were often called “ships of inland commerce.” The drivers usually rode the left wheel horse and are credited with originating the American custom of turning out to the right. The prairie schooner was a modification of the Conestoga wagon. Retrieved 6/28/4 http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/C/Conestog.asp
More Reviews (81)
- See All Hidden Gem~
- See All Tehachapi Pass Marker~
- See All Chalk on the Walk~Yearly Event
- See All Special gifts~
- See All Tehachap Street Maps
Yaqui's Related Pages
Tehachapi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tehachapi~Land of Many Acorns!"
- "TEHACHAPI "LAND OF FOUR SEASONS""
- "OLD WEST CHARM"
- "Trainspotting - The Loop of Tehachapi"
- "Tehachapi Loop"
- "Tehachapi, Ca. A great place to live!"
- "TEHACHAPI: hOME & FAMILY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tehachapi
- Hotels in Tehachapi
- Transportation in Tehachapi
- Nightlife in Tehachapi
- Restaurants in Tehachapi
- Shopping in Tehachapi
- Warnings and Dangers in Tehachapi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tehachapi
- 83 Reviews
- 321 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 90 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (207)
Have you been to Tehachapi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tehachapi
Photos in TehachapiSee All Photos (321)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 300 reviews, 1153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 99 reviews, 380 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 111 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 83 reviews, 321 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (111)
- The Tehachapi Loop- 3 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Tehachapi Mountain Park- 1 Review, 5 Photos
- HISTORICAL MURALS- 2 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Tehachapi Depot Railroad Museum- 2 Reviews, 8 Photos
- TUSCANY IN TEHACHAPI-SOUZA FAMILY VINEYARD- 1 Review, 5 Photos
- Historical History Walk- 1 Review, 5 Photos
- BeeKay Theatre- 1 Review, 5 Photos
- Mourning Cloak Ranch and Botanical Gardens- 1 Review, 1 Photo
- Apples, Apples, and more Apples- 1 Review, 2 Photos
- Triassic Legacy Vineyards- 1 Review, 5 Photos
See All Tehachapi Things to Do