"Tahoe City" Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City by Yaqui
Tahoe City Travel Guide: 127 reviews and 209 photos
Tahoe City was founded in 1863 and started simply as a supply area for the various lumber companies that operated from Virginia City. Many of the hardy individuals who worked with the timber companies decided to stake out land to make this their home. Although, most didn?t endure, many did. Because of the harsh winters the population remained low, but remained a favorite vacation spots for tourist who loved winters sports and those who didn?t, sought out the beauty during the summer months. The Tahoe Tavern was built in 1901 by Duane Bliss for his family, but it soon turned into a lush hotel for wealthy vacationers. DL Bliss even built a railroad to its doors to make it easier for tourist as did the steamers bringing guests right to her docks since roads were not in the best conditions. The first full time resident family was the Watson?s who built their cabin right up near the shore in 1909. It wasn?t till after the WWII, that the roads greatly improved and the peacetime boom that hit this area within the next ten years bring in new businesses and families. After the 1960 Olympics popularity of winter sports really hit bringing in all those outdoor warriors who gradually made this their home.
The Gatekeeper?s Museum is a 1981 reconstruction of the original Gatekeeper?s hand-carved log Cabin of 1910 ? It was where the water master lived and it was his job to control the Truckee River out of Lake Tahoe. It houses Tahoe history of its beginning of the Native inhabitants through the logging period. Exhibits include Local rocks and fossils, early skiing gear, logging and railroad equipment, vintage newspapers and other Lake Tahoe memorabilia. Tools, baskets and clothing from the Washoe and Paiute Indian tribes are exhibited. Old photographs, oral historical recordings and videotapes are available in the research library. Over 100 Native American dolls and over 800 Native American Baskets are housed in a new annex.
- In a nutshell:Hidden treasures to be found!
Not too many people were exploring the Outlet dam, but we did and were not disappointed with the beautiful view of the... more travel advice
The plaques reads: William B. Layton Park This park was named for and dedicated to the memory of William B. Layton by... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Tahoe City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tahoe City, California"
- "Tahoe City"
- "North Shore Splendour"
- "Lake Tahoe: A Place for Summer and Winter Fun!"
- "North Shore Lake Tahoe- Under Construction- Check"
- "The mouth of Tahoe"
- "Lake Tahoe by a Family That Lives There"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tahoe City
- Hotels in Tahoe City
- Transportation in Tahoe City
- Nightlife in Tahoe City
- Restaurants in Tahoe City
- Shopping in Tahoe City
- Warnings and Dangers in Tahoe City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tahoe City
- 21 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (219)
Have you been to Tahoe City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tahoe City
Photos in Tahoe CitySee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 300 reviews, 1153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 153 reviews, 538 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 123 reviews, 563 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 102 reviews, 486 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 99 reviews, 380 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 111 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 83 reviews, 321 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasadena Intro, 67 reviews, 275 photos