"Sonora" Sonora by Yaqui
Sonora Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 95 photos
I didn't take any pictures of this wonderful little town at the time. Yet, I was in collecting postcards and I am glad I did. We stayed the night from being on the road all day. We need to revisit and explore it some more.
Sonora like most cities that dot along the Sierra Nevada Mountain range sprung up over night from the discovery of Gold. The Gold Rush era created many communities that have with stand the test of time. Others find themselves decaying, abandon, and eventually vanishing with only the memories of those yester years when souls roam up and down the street called once their home. Sonora is one of those communities that were kept alive by ancestors of past settlers who appreciated the beauty and historic preservation. The Mi-Wuk Indians were the first citizens to this area, but soon found themselves over run by prospectors looking for the gold dream. May of 1848 a group of Mi-Wuk Indians working for Charles M. Weber discovered gold along the Stanislaus River. Once the word got out, the hills were covered by tents of miners, pioneers, loggers and eventually the railroad roars in bringing in more. In 1850 it was established as Tuolumne County and in 1851 it became the City of Sonora. Sonora experienced its up and down like most old mining communities, but when Melones dam was built it brought electricity in 1892 that gave other types industry to move in and in 1922 Sonora experienced the luxury of paved roads. Now Sonora stands as a lovely historic community for future VTer’s to enjoy.
Tuolumne Country Information
- Pros:I loved all the historic buildings
- Cons:At the time, I have none
- In a nutshell:History still flourishes here
Yaqui's Related Pages
Sonora Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Queen of the Southern Mines"
- "Sonora Pass Hwy"
- "Sonora: Queen of the Southern Mines"
- "Sonora, California"
- "Bregman's Sonora Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sonora
- Hotels in Sonora
- Restaurants in Sonora
- Warnings and Dangers in Sonora
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sonora
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to Sonora?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sonora
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 287 reviews, 1078 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 93 reviews, 265 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 59 reviews, 254 photos