"Sonora" Sonora by Yaqui

Sonora Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 95 photos

Going back some day!

I didn't take any pictures of this wonderful little town at the time. Yet, I was in collecting postcards and I am glad I did. We stayed the night from being on the road all day. We need to revisit and explore it some more.

Sonora like most cities that dot along the Sierra Nevada Mountain range sprung up over night from the discovery of Gold. The Gold Rush era created many communities that have with stand the test of time. Others find themselves decaying, abandon, and eventually vanishing with only the memories of those yester years when souls roam up and down the street called once their home. Sonora is one of those communities that were kept alive by ancestors of past settlers who appreciated the beauty and historic preservation. The Mi-Wuk Indians were the first citizens to this area, but soon found themselves over run by prospectors looking for the gold dream. May of 1848 a group of Mi-Wuk Indians working for Charles M. Weber discovered gold along the Stanislaus River. Once the word got out, the hills were covered by tents of miners, pioneers, loggers and eventually the railroad roars in bringing in more. In 1850 it was established as Tuolumne County and in 1851 it became the City of Sonora. Sonora experienced its up and down like most old mining communities, but when Melones dam was built it brought electricity in 1892 that gave other types industry to move in and in 1922 Sonora experienced the luxury of paved roads. Now Sonora stands as a lovely historic community for future VTer’s to enjoy.

Tuolumne Country Information

• Pros:I loved all the historic buildings
  • Cons:At the time, I have none
  • In a nutshell:History still flourishes here
  • Last visit to Sonora: Dec 1993
  • Intro Updated Apr 30, 2008

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2011 at 11:01 PM

I did not know that there were several places named Sonora !

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2010 at 1:57 PM

This is just the kind of place I like to visit - but we missed it on our trip in these parts earlier this year. "You can't see evertything" but with VT you can! Thanks for this little visit.

• MD2nd's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2010 at 5:36 AM

Stanislaus River? That's an interesting name for a river in that area?

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Nice background on this Gold Rush Town.

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Badges & Stats in Sonora