"~Solvang~" Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang by Yaqui
Solvang Travel Guide: 270 reviews and 678 photos
Solvang was founeded in 1911 as a Danish American colony on a portion of the sprawling Rancho San Carlos de Jonata, has developed into one of the principal tourist attractions in the country. Located inland along the Central California Coast some 45 miles north of Santa Barbara, the town embodies the expression "Denmark lives in Solvang" with the village of 5,300 representing a page from a Hans Christian Andersen Story.
Solvang meaning Sunny Field, was founded by a group of Danish educators Reverend J. Gregersen, Reverend B. Nordenloft, and Mr. P.B. Hornsyld from the Midwest in 1911 who were in search of a site for a Danish type folk school. They liked what they saw and envisioned the location of the potential town, nestled between the Santa Ynez and San Rafael Mountain Ranges, as an ideal place to launch the school and where settlers could earn a living tilling the rich soil.
Although Solvang has developed into one of the major tourist meccas, its many Danish American residents continue to perpetuate their Danish heritage.
- Pros:Loads of shopping and restaurants
- In a nutshell:Keeping alive Danish traditions~
It reads: Mission Santa Ines Has been designated a NATIONAL HISTORIC LANDMARK This religious complex possesses... more travel advice
This place was hopping, but it was not suprising since the aroma coming out the door of the place was catching everyones... more travel advice
Yaqui's Related Pages
Solvang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Denmark in Central California"
- "SOLVANG, AMERICA'S LITTLE DENMARK"
- "Solvang - The Danish Town"
- "Solvang, California"
- "Solvang - A taste of Denmark"
- "Solvang ~ The Danish Capital of America"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Solvang
- Hotels in Solvang
- Transportation in Solvang
- Nightlife in Solvang
- Restaurants in Solvang
- Shopping in Solvang
- Warnings and Dangers in Solvang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Solvang
- 34 Reviews
- 103 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to Solvang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Solvang
- Posted in Travel Los Angeles Forum "Re: free Los Angeles photo..."
- Wrote a Review Mission Santa Ines National Historical Landmark~ about Old Mission Santa Ines in Solvang Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mission Santa Ines National Historical Landmark~"
- Uploaded a Video to Solvang
- updated a Solvang Travel Page "~Solvang~"
- Commented on one of travelgourmet's Solvang travel pages
Photos in SolvangSee All Photos (103)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 287 reviews, 1078 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 124 reviews, 568 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 118 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bakersfield Intro, 94 reviews, 334 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 82 reviews, 305 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Diego Intro, 93 reviews, 265 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 104 reviews, 253 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anaheim Intro, 65 reviews, 260 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Long Beach Intro, 59 reviews, 254 photos